Clutch Pedal Return Spring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Pedal Return Spring?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-29-2001, 09:52 AM   #1
cobra54

Clutch Pedal Return Spring?

According to the parts breakout in various Jeep parts catalogs, a 93 Wrangler is supposed to have a clutch return spring that is 5 3/8" long. Mine does not have a return spring that I can see so I ordered one from the local Jeep dealer. I haven't received it yet but, for the life of me, I can't figure out where it goes! I believe I need it because the clutch push rod rattles like he!! against the clutch master cylinder at the slightest uneven road surface. To keep it from rattling, I have to lift up on the clutch pedal with my foot.

Please - somebody tell me where the spring goes. The rattling is driving me crazy!

01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
cobra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm... I also have a clutch pedal that rattles like a mother on uneven surfaces. I just assumed it was slop between the pedal arm and the hinge. I didn't know there was supposed to be a return spring under there, too. I'll have to look at my clutch pedal assembly tonight when I get home and see if I can figure out where that spring should go.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2001, 09:37 AM   #3
cobra54

www.4wd.com indicates that the clutch pedal return spring is for an '80 to 93'. Being a '94, yours may not have one Nightclaw. As far as that goes, mine may not have one. You know how it is on the date ranges. '81 through '92 probably all have them but some of the '80s and '93s may not, depending on when they were manufactured during the year.
01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
Unread 12-03-2001, 06:49 AM   #4
cobra54

Finally got my clutch pedal return spring. Dealer told me it connects to the upper part of the pedal near the pivot (but above the clutch master cylinder push rod) and then connects to a "bracket" under the dash.

There's a hole in the pedal just under the pivot point just like he said, but I couldn't find anything that looked like where the other end should connect to under the dash. Here's what I did.

I pulled off the plastic panel on the instrument cluster. Looking between the dash and the left side of the steering column, you can see a direct route to where the spring attaches to the pedal. The spring can then be stretched toward the dash through this opening and hooked on to the steering column brace. It's a pretty flaky connection, so I drilled a 1/8" hole in the brace for the spring to hook through.

Worked like a champ. No more rattle and it give the clutch a much stronger feel.
01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.