Clutch not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch not working

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
ChuckNapPap
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch not working

Hey all,

So I recently purchased a '91 YJ 4-cyl and for the most part, it's been running fine. However, I tried to start it today and found that I was unable to shift out of neutral (I just get grinding). I can shift into any gear when the engine is off. If I try to start it in first gear (with the clutch pedal to the floor), it will lunge forward. So basically, I know that the clutch is not disengaging when I press the pedal.

The clutch fluid reservoir is full. With my hand to the clutch hydraulic line (near where it enters the bell housing), I can feel fluid moving if I press the clutch pedal. Also, I can easily move the line about 2 inches in-and-out of the bell housing, although I think I could do this when the clutch was working - is this normal?

My best guess is that there is some problem with the slave cylinder, or the clutch is rusted to the flywheel (I hadn't driven the vehicle for several days). Has anyone else experienced this? I plan on dropping the tranny to check things out unless someone has a simpler solution.

ChuckNapPap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Lambo3244
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I am not mistaken the slave cylinder has sucked into the bell housing. This happened to me once for whatever reason and the symptoms I experienced are the exact same. Had to pull the tranny out and replace the slave cylinder...can be a PITA if you don't have a lift. If the bleeder line is not visible from the outside of the bell housing, slave cylinder took it inside.
Lambo3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
ChuckNapPap
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey all,

I removed the bell housing over the weekend and replaced the slave cylinder (this is a '91, so the slave cylinder and throwout bearing are integrated). The clutch pedal feels good now, but I'm still having the same problem - the clutch will not disengage.

I figured that maybe the clutch is stuck to the flywheel, so I tried to break it loose by doing the following:
Engine off, transmission in first, clutch pedal to the floor, then crank starter. The jeep rolls forward (since the clutch isn't disengaged) and starts. I rolled along at idle, then slammed on the brakes. The engine stalled, but the clutch still didn't disengage!

I guess I'll have to pull the bell housing and pull the clutch and pressure plate, unless someone has a better idea. I've never experienced this before on any vehicle - does anyone know what else it could be? I don't think it's the master cylinder, because the clutch pedal feels as if it's compressing the pressure plate and I can feel fluid moving through the lines.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNapPap View Post
Hey all,

I removed the bell housing over the weekend and replaced the slave cylinder (this is a '91, so the slave cylinder and throwout bearing are integrated). The clutch pedal feels good now, but I'm still having the same problem - the clutch will not disengage.

I figured that maybe the clutch is stuck to the flywheel, so I tried to break it loose by doing the following:
Engine off, transmission in first, clutch pedal to the floor, then crank starter. The jeep rolls forward (since the clutch isn't disengaged) and starts. I rolled along at idle, then slammed on the brakes. The engine stalled, but the clutch still didn't disengage!

I guess I'll have to pull the bell housing and pull the clutch and pressure plate, unless someone has a better idea. I've never experienced this before on any vehicle - does anyone know what else it could be? I don't think it's the master cylinder, because the clutch pedal feels as if it's compressing the pressure plate and I can feel fluid moving through the lines.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
I have never heard of this issue before. The odd thing is that when the vehicle is not running, you can shift into gear. This is typically a hydraulic issue, makes me think the mechanics are fine with the clutch. Have you bled it since you replaced the slave? I did some searches and alot of responses were that it needed bled more, most preferring a gravity bleed. I did see a few posts about the clutch being stuck to the flywheel, but as you mentioned, starting it in first, letting it run and hitting the breaks should be enough force to break it free. I wonder if while you had it running you could shift into second? Just curious. Finally, I also saw a few posts that said this problem was caused by problems with the fork or fork pin/spring which shouldn't come in to play here. Not much help, but it's all I could find. I would start by bleeding some more, since that is the easiest thing to do. If I find anything else I will post it up.
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My guess would be the master cylinder is leaking internally past the seals. This would explain why the clutch isn't disengaging, because it's not building enough pressure. Just my guess since you've already replaced the slave.
ApocalypseJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
srdart67
2002 WJ 

I have two things to add to this.

1. If your going to bleed the clutch more I just did this this morning and here is how I did it... I pushed the clutch in almost all the way to the floor but not all the way. I opened the bleeder and poured fluid in the resevoir until it was all fuid coming out of the bleeder screw.

2. If you have changed the slave, master is full, and slammin the brakes while moving didnt do anything maybe there is an issue with your pressure plate.
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

went round and round with something like you have, new parts and still no clutch. pulled the trans and found a broken finger on the brand new pressure plate. Replacedand good to go.
Did you do a disk and pressure plate while you were in there?
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
ChuckNapPap
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Resolution, in case anyone with a similar problem finds this thread: a bolt holding the pressure plate to the flywheel sheared. I'm sure this is what was causing my problem. I'll have to drill and tap, or replace the flywheel.
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNapPap View Post
Resolution, in case anyone with a similar problem finds this thread: a bolt holding the pressure plate to the flywheel sheared. I'm sure this is what was causing my problem. I'll have to drill and tap, or replace the flywheel.
ez out should work nicely in this situation

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.