Clutch not disengaging after driving a bit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch not disengaging after driving a bit

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
ja123182
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch not disengaging after driving a bit

My clutch doesut disengage after I drive for a while. I have a 90 yj with a 5 speed. Also my fluid was a little low and black. What's my problem...not the clutch I hope

ja123182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

bleed all that black fluid out should help if not fix.........
kahanabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
ja123182
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks do you have a link on changing the clutch fluid
ja123182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

suck out the old fluid with a turkey baster and add new fluid. will need a helper, the bleeder is under on the drivers side. have helper push the clutch all the way down and hold it there then you loosen the bleeder nut and fluid will squirt out then tighten the nut then the helper can let off on the clutch. then have helper add new fluid to the master and repete the same process until you see new clear fluid squirt out of the bleeder end. do not let the master go dry. thats pretty much it!
kahanabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

The Black is the slave cylinder starting to go .Know you don't want to hear it but that's it.How old is the clutch ?I just replaced all of the clutch assembly when I mean all,I mean all .Master,slave,clutch plate,pressure plate, pilot bearing.
It was more of seeing I had the tranny down ,do it now instead of waiting to do it soon later.
As for yours not disengaging.No pressure means no plate moving.You pump the clutch to build pressure up but as you drive longer distance the pressure bleeds out.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.