Clutch master and/or slave cylinder: How can I tell which it broken? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch master and/or slave cylinder: How can I tell which it broken?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
myoung

Clutch master and/or slave cylinder: How can I tell which it broken?

1994 Wrangler
2.5 4 cylinder
5 speed, Manuel

Basically, whenever I go to shift I cannot put it in gear. Just about every gear grinds. No matter how hard I force it, sometimes it just wont go into gear. To begin driving, I have to put it in gear when the car is OFF, then turn the car on with it in gear or else I wont be able to go into first. If I want to reverse, with the car off I put it in reverse..turn it on...reverse...turn it off...put it in first...turn it on...drive...etc. I pumped the clutch a little bit today and it seemed to be a very temporary fix. How can I tell if its the clutch master and or slave cylinder??? Which do I have to get, etc.??

Thanks a lot!!!

myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have fluid in the master cylinder?

My master leaks, once it got really low (before I knew it leaked), and I couldn't shift gears with the jeep turned on. It would do as yours does. Check your master for fluid, top up if necessary. If nothing else is mangled, and even if the master and/or slave is leaking, that should let you still drive it and shift.

To check if the master is leaking, take a look on the inside of your firewall near the e-brake and see if there's any sign of leakage. There will probably also be leakage on the outside of the firewall directly under the master. I don't know how to check for the slave, but I believe you should be leaking brake fluid externally from the tranny. So if you check it all out, and there's no brake fluid loss at the tranny, then it's probably your master.

good luck
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it has fluid, crack the line loose coming out of the master, have someone press the clutch pedal. If fluid sprays out, the the master is working.
ShowStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Other than a tell-tale leak from one of these hydraulic components, it is a krap shoot. Given that both the master and slave have roughly the same lifespan, AND, that you have a '94 with an external slave, I highly recommend replacing both which are commonly sold as a complete assembly. They come pre-filled and pre-bled. All you have to do is bolt it up. Do not buy aftermarket from the normal places. These are total garbage and quite possible dangerous due to their poor quality. I recommend clutchcityonline. They use FTE parts which are an OEM manufacturer. Besides clutchcity, the other choice would be the dealership $$. There are a few on-line dealerships that sell wholesale as well. You can use their price to barter/price match with your local dealership. Clutchcity from my experience though has always had the best price for the exact same parts.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
myoung

There is a fluid leaking externally from the tranny!
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
myoung

Does anyone have a link to a complete assembly? Like the one I would need? I would certainly buy it complete then. Does the tranny have to be taken apart/off? Thanks!!!
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should have an external slave so you shouldn't need to remove the tranny, the new slave should just bolt right up. You should be able to find what you need at clutchcity.com
NineohsevenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Does anyone have a link to a complete assembly? Like the one I would need? I would certainly buy it complete then. Does the tranny have to be taken apart/off? Thanks!!!
Here you go... For your make and model... New Jeep Pre-Filled Clutch Master Cylinder - PS0115

Oh, and NO(because you have a '94 with an external slave), the tranny stays in place. This is a simple as it comes. Unhook the pedal from the master, unbolt the master and slave. Bolt up the new in reverse order. Do follow the installation instructions. Specifically, DO NOT remove the plastic shipping strap from the slave when installing. It is designed to break free when you first apply pressure from the pedal.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
myoung

Thank you so much! I appreciate all of the help. Any other tips welcomed!
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
myoung

Two more things:

1) how do I know this is not a bad throwout bearing; and

2) is it worth doing a clutch at the same time?
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1994 Wrangler
2.5 4 cylinder
5 speed, Manuel

Basically, whenever I go to shift I cannot put it in gear. Just about every gear grinds. No matter how hard I force it, sometimes it just wont go into gear. To begin driving, I have to put it in gear when the car is OFF, then turn the car on with it in gear or else I wont be able to go into first. If I want to reverse, with the car off I put it in reverse..turn it on...reverse...turn it off...put it in first...turn it on...drive...etc. I pumped the clutch a little bit today and it seemed to be a very temporary fix. How can I tell if its the clutch master and or slave cylinder??? Which do I have to get, etc.??

Thanks a lot!!!
The answer is quite clear. It hates you because you keep calling it a "car" when it is cleary not a car.
Modify your behavior & it will begin to cooperate when it feels you have fully paid for your sins.

Seriously, being as you have the external slave style hydraulics, replace the entire hydraulics with the pre-bled system as previously suggested & see how it goes. I would "bet the farm" that your troubles will be gone.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The answer is quite clear. It hates you because you keep calling it a "car" when it is cleary not a car.
Modify your behavior & it will begin to cooperate when it feels you have fully paid for your sins.

Seriously, being as you have the external slave style hydraulics, replace the entire hydraulics with the pre-bled system as previously suggested & see how it goes. I would "bet the farm" that your troubles will be gone.

Max
Yep, I didn't go there, but Max is right. The "CAR" referance is touchy on this board. So it is advised to drop it. Your "Jeep" will be better served by doing this
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Two more things:

1) how do I know this is not a bad throwout bearing; and

2) is it worth doing a clutch at the same time?
Does the clutch slip when you give it gas? How many miles are on the current clutch package. Because you have an external clutch slave on your "JEEP", then run it until it starts to slip. Otherwise, leave the clutch discs alone. Until the clutch and friction plate on your '94 presents problems such as slipping under load, because you have external hydraulics (enjoy it) and leave well enough alone. The pilot bearing will make noise and can cause chattering, but it has the same lifespan as the clutch disc and friction plate. Your problem appears to be strictly hydraulic. If you had an internal slave, then I would recommend replacing the clutch as you would then have to drop the tranny. This does not apply to your "JEEP". Lucky you.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
biglukexxx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

clutch help

hi new to this i replaced my slavecylinder and bled it and got pressure to clutch and now when i push clutch the pressure and fluid bleeds back to the clutch mastercylinder now why would it do that?
biglukexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglukexxx View Post
hi new to this i replaced my slavecylinder and bled it and got pressure to clutch and now when i push clutch the pressure and fluid bleeds back to the clutch mastercylinder now why would it do that?
How would one know if the pressure supplied from the master is being fed back to it? And what type of rig do you drive?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.