clutch master cylinder verses the slave cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch master cylinder verses the slave cyl

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 02-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Ctskip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

clutch master cylinder verses the slave cyl

I've got a bone stock 95 4 cyl 5 spd. At first I thought it was the transmission giving me troubles. At a stop I couldn't get it in gear. Now I have to shut the motor off and engage the transmission, then restart and off I go. I was told by some here it was the syncro's in the transmission that needed attention. I didn't want to believe it. Sometimes it worked perfectly. Now I am beginning to realize it could be the hydraulic clutch cylinders that are failing. I believe there are two hydraulic cylinders in the clutch system. My question is;
How do I know which cylinder (master/slave) is going bad? Should I replace the entire system (it comes in kit form)? Or do the master cylinder and hope it's that one? Being disabled, it's difficult to do myself, but I am willing to give it a shot. Any tips? I have read through all the responses in the search, coming away scratching my head. Short of bringing it to the dealer and dropping trough. Thanks all to who respond. Ctskip

Ctskip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well ill say you got lucky on this one when it comes to being easy. You should buy the whole kit, it comes all together pre-bleed. then it just bolts on. On a scale of 1-10 its a 1 or 2. It sounds like it would solve your problem.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
obsessedjeeper
2013 WK 

def get the prebleed kit. if you replace only the master cylinder, the slave will go out very shortly after (ask me how i know)
obsessedjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Ctskip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys
Ctskip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If that isn't it, you probably just need a new pilot bearing or a light coating of grease on the input shaft because the clutch is dragging intermittently. My 94 has done that twice since it was new and a bit of grease on the input shaft would fix it for years.

Definitely NOT a synchro problem.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.