Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

clutch master cylinder verses the slave cyl

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jdarg 
#1 ·
I've got a bone stock 95 4 cyl 5 spd. At first I thought it was the transmission giving me troubles. At a stop I couldn't get it in gear. Now I have to shut the motor off and engage the transmission, then restart and off I go. I was told by some here it was the syncro's in the transmission that needed attention. I didn't want to believe it. Sometimes it worked perfectly. Now I am beginning to realize it could be the hydraulic clutch cylinders that are failing. I believe there are two hydraulic cylinders in the clutch system. My question is;
How do I know which cylinder (master/slave) is going bad? Should I replace the entire system (it comes in kit form)? Or do the master cylinder and hope it's that one? Being disabled, it's difficult to do myself, but I am willing to give it a shot. Any tips? I have read through all the responses in the search, coming away scratching my head. Short of bringing it to the dealer and dropping trough. Thanks all to who respond. Ctskip

#2 ·
Well ill say you got lucky on this one when it comes to being easy. You should buy the whole kit, it comes all together pre-bleed. then it just bolts on. On a scale of 1-10 its a 1 or 2. It sounds like it would solve your problem.

#5 ·
If that isn't it, you probably just need a new pilot bearing or a light coating of grease on the input shaft because the clutch is dragging intermittently. My 94 has done that twice since it was new and a bit of grease on the input shaft would fix it for years.

Definitely NOT a synchro problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.