Clutch master cylinder replacement - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch master cylinder replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #76
dapeats
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where does the o-ring go that comes with the new MC?

dapeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #77
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeats View Post
Where does the o-ring go that comes with the new MC?
On the attachment for the hose. Look at all the photos in Max's post number 5 on the first page of this thread.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #78
dapeats
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
On the attachment for the hose. Look at all the photos in Max's post number 5 on the first page of this thread.
Thanks, I found it. It was so worn down it looked like a peice of metal so i wasn't too sure.

No my only issue is the bleeder valve (internal slave)... I know I have to hold one end of it and unscrew the small nut farthest from the bell housing. My only issue is that I'm not sure which nut to hold because there are two and I don't want to snap the small nut.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #79
dapeats
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, I found it. It was so worn down it looked like a peice of metal so i wasn't too sure.

No my only issue is the bleeder valve (internal slave)... I know I have to hold one end of it and unscrew the small nut farthest from the bell housing. My only issue is that I'm not sure which nut to hold because there are two and I don't want to snap the small nut.
I figured it out, it's the one in the middle (largest one)
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #80
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I figured it out, it's the one in the middle (largest one)

Yeah, hold the one in the middle, the little one on the end is the one to unscrew and it will bleed thru that. Good luck, those are always real stuck.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #81
dapeats
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got it out and bled it. So....I have pressure in the clutch, not as much as before but good pressure. My clutch now only seems to engage about a quarter of the way in when I push the pedal. Before it was almost all the way down. It drives 100 times better right now and doesn't grind in 3rd anymore.

So do you think its good to go or do i still need to bleed it some more since it's only a 1/4 engagement. We when bled we pumped 5-10 times, kept the pedal in and I loosened the bleed valve. Only twice did air pop out, every other time it was a good stream.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #82
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I got it out and bled it. So....I have pressure in the clutch, not as much as before but good pressure. My clutch now only seems to engage about a quarter of the way in when I push the pedal. Before it was almost all the way down. It drives 100 times better right now and doesn't grind in 3rd anymore.

So do you think its good to go or do i still need to bleed it some more since it's only a 1/4 engagement. We when bled we pumped 5-10 times, kept the pedal in and I loosened the bleed valve. Only twice did air pop out, every other time it was a good stream.

Not sure how much of an effect it would have, but you only need to pump the pedal one time when bleeding.
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #83
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It's okay to pump a few times, not real fast pumps, but slow purposeful pumps and 5-10 is fine. Crack the valve and let it ooze out while your buddy holds the clutch pedal down, tighten the valve and then start the pump process again. I like to put a clear plastic tube on the bleed nipple and dip it down into a jar that has some brake fluid in it so I can see if it bubbles or not.

At this point, I'd drive it for a bit, then try another bleeding session.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #84
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
It's okay to pump a few times, not real fast pumps, but slow purposeful pumps and 5-10 is fine. Crack the valve and let it ooze out while your buddy holds the clutch pedal down, tighten the valve and then start the pump process again. I like to put a clear plastic tube on the bleed nipple and dip it down into a jar that has some brake fluid in it so I can see if it bubbles or not.

At this point, I'd drive it for a bit, then try another bleeding session.
My mistake then. Can't remember who it was, but somebody on the forum told me to just use one pump for bleeding a clutch. Obviously incorrect. Thank Opihi.
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #85
REDS_Auto

Hi everyone! Read this post because I am having a problem with a Jeep Wrangler, 1990, that was brought in to my shop. The man replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder, and snapped the bleeder off. So now the Jeep only has the middle nut and the nut closest to the bell housing. I have attempted to bleed it without the bleeder and still has absolutely no peddle. Could you Jeep enthusiast throw some advice my way? I thought it would be straight forward like doing brakes (pump, bleed, pump, bleed, etc...).

If the bleeder nut is broken off doesn't that mean you have to replace it otherwise you cannot properly bleed it?

Thank you,
REDS Auto
REDS_Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #86
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this write-up! My YJ's clutch feels normal again. . .I would like a little more pressure in the system (I guess I'm just used to my Ranger's clutch now), but the engagement range is back to normal!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
350SBC/TH350/NP205, 14-bolt rear/D60 front
40" BFG MTR's on H2 8-lugs
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #87
techonehundred
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, have a weird one to me. The clutch was working just fine, in traffic and one push it was working and the next it would go almost all the way down and just feel solid. I pulled the slave cylinder and there is no indication of oil or where it was leaking. I checked fluid level, it was low, but not empty. the only weird thing is when I put it back in the bell housing, there is no resistance before the nuts are tightened in other words it does not feel like it is contacting the clutch lever. how far in should the clutch lever be inside the housing? Could it be that the clutch lever is bent inside the housing? 95K on the Jeep Sahara 4.0. Looks like I need to pull the trans to see.
techonehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #88
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techonehundred View Post
Ok, have a weird one to me. The clutch was working just fine, in traffic and one push it was working and the next it would go almost all the way down and just feel solid. I pulled the slave cylinder and there is no indication of oil or where it was leaking. I checked fluid level, it was low, but not empty. the only weird thing is when I put it back in the bell housing, there is no resistance before the nuts are tightened in other words it does not feel like it is contacting the clutch lever. how far in should the clutch lever be inside the housing? Could it be that the clutch lever is bent inside the housing? 95K on the Jeep Sahara 4.0. Looks like I need to pull the trans to see.
Welcome to the forum, and fill out your profile. You likely didn't bend your fork. You can always look inside your bell thru the ext slave mount hole. Flashlight/mirror etc, but do you still have the piston rod coming out the end of your slave? You should be able to "feel" the rod contact the cup area of the fork. Don't forget to consider your clutch master as well. I'd replace the hydraulic unit. If you're going to pull the trans, should consider doing a new clutch as well. But I don't think the problem you describe necessitates pulling the trans.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #89
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techonehundred
This sounds like a broken master cylinder spring to me. Because of your externally mounted slave cylinder, I would replace the entire master/hose/slave assembly with a pre-bled unit.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #90
purdueme06
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awhile back, I had a sinking clutch pedal. I'd press the pedal down and you could just feel it squish to the floor (similar to the brakes on the '82 monte carlo I used to have which required a cylinder change as well). It wasn't something I felt very comfortable letting go too long, in fear of one day not being able to get my clutch disengaged, so I did a master & slave replacement. A buddy (soon-to-be bother-in-law) and I got them swapped out, filled, and bled in under 1.5 hours. Quick, easy, and somewhat fun little repair.
purdueme06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.