Clutch master cylinder replacement - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch master cylinder replacement

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #61
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, i appreciate your help.

Unread 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #62
aar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I too have a leaking Master that required some refill in order for the clutch to operate properly.
After some debate (not much) I took Opihi59 advice and ordered the Master/Slave/line combo from rockauto (Max's advice).
I got the part and plan to install it next week. My question has to do with the bleeding of the system.
What would the proper/easiest way of doing it? It has No bleeding screw.
Also what would be the best sequence to install? Slave or Master first?
Thanks for all the help.
aar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #63
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

most have a bleeder screw down by the slave cylinder, but good luck getting it loose, most are pretty much gone by the time you actually need to use it.
1993 YJ 4 banger- cold air intake, 31" matercraft MT's, 1" boomerang shackles, bedlined rockers, Proline beadlock simulator rims, bedlined shorty corner guards, Bed lined tub, homebrew power steering skid, LUK stage II performance clutch.
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #64
andybloch1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 93 is different than the 95. 93 has a bleeder right by the bell housing. If you bought the kit you should not need to bleed.
andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #65
aar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar View Post
I too have a leaking Master that required some refill in order for the clutch to operate properly.
After some debate (not much) I took Opihi59 advice and ordered the Master/Slave/line combo from rockauto (Max's advice).
I got the part and plan to install it next week. My question has to do with the bleeding of the system.
Thanks for all the help.
Should have specified. I have a '95 with a 2.5L. The new slave unit has no bleeder screw.
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #66
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

I am pretty sure Opihi59 did a writeup on adding a bleeder to one of those kits one time. They are not supposed to need bleeding though, lol. I will see if I can find it on a search.
Unread 06-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #67
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar View Post
Thanks for all the help.
No bleeding required. The combo kits are full of fluid & pre-bled. Install it all at once.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #68
aar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
No bleeding required. The combo kits are full of fluid & pre-bled. Install it all at once.

Max
Yes, the fluid was included. In mine it came spilled all over the box. No big deal. I refilled it and bled it on the bench.
Works great, never new what the pedal pressure was supposed to be till now
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #69
d-dub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 External Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post

Max
I just replaced the Clutch Master/Slave asm in my 94 YJ with the Made in USA unit from Crown Automotive (through Quadratec). It has a bleader screw on the slave, same as the stock original. It came empty, no oil in it. So, I started to blead it... Pumped some DOT 3 fluid into it to get it started... and let it drip for a couple hours keeping the master full... put the plug in... And, still no pressure??? Ran out of time tonight, have to work tomorrow, so I will try to blead it again sunday...

Also, on the tip of the slave cylinder. There are thin plastic straps going from the cap to the mounting flange??? I left them there, thinking they will help make sure the rod stays positioned in the pocket on the clutch release lever and would brake off the first time the slave is stroked??? Any one have a comment on if I should have cut them off???
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #70
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dub View Post
I just replaced the Clutch Master/Slave asm in my 94 YJ with the Made in USA unit from Crown Automotive (through Quadratec). It has a bleader screw on the slave, same as the stock original. It came empty, no oil in it. So, I started to blead it... Pumped some DOT 3 fluid into it to get it started... and let it drip for a couple hours keeping the master full... put the plug in... And, still no pressure??? Ran out of time tonight, have to work tomorrow, so I will try to blead it again sunday...

Also, on the tip of the slave cylinder. There are thin plastic straps going from the cap to the mounting flange??? I left them there, thinking they will help make sure the rod stays positioned in the pocket on the clutch release lever and would brake off the first time the slave is stroked??? Any one have a comment on if I should have cut them off???
sounds like you are gravity bleeding it, which is a good idea(especially when it's on the work bench). Try having a helper push the pedal to the floor and hold there, then you loosen the bleeder valve(best to have a jar for any fluid that comes out to go into) and listen/watch. Once it finishes tighten, then helper can release pedal. If there is still air in there, you will here it pop out. If you do have air, you may have to repeat that process many, many times to fully get all the air out. In my experience I had to fill the reservoir after two bleeds, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

As for the straps, they are just what you thought. You were correct to leave them alone.
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #71
d-dub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
sounds like you are gravity bleeding it, which is a good idea(especially when it's on the work bench). Try having a helper push the pedal to the floor and hold there, then you loosen the bleeder valve(best to have a jar for any fluid that comes out to go into) and listen/watch. Once it finishes tighten, then helper can release pedal. If there is still air in there, you will here it pop out. If you do have air, you may have to repeat that process many, many times to fully get all the air out. In my experience I had to fill the reservoir after two bleeds, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

As for the straps, they are just what you thought. You were correct to leave them alone.
Thanks a lot. I didn't get a chance to get to it today. Maybe, tomorrow.
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #72
d-dub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Got it. It is a lot easier to do with a helper. I tried bleading the system myself... Arms just aren't long enough to push on the pedal and open the bleader screw...LOL... A little help from my wife and 12oz of brake fluid, only took 20 minutes to get it back to new...

Thanks, DW
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #73
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Got it. It is a lot easier to do with a helper. I tried bleading the system myself... Arms just aren't long enough to push on the pedal and open the bleader screw...LOL... A little help from my wife and 12oz of brake fluid, only took 20 minutes to get it back to new...

Thanks, DW
so your pedal is good now? Great news.
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #74
d-dub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so your pedal is good now? Great news.
Yeah, I was trying to do it myself. With the Master/slave installed in the vehicle and I must have been getting air back in before I could close the bleader... Not to mention I couldn't get a full stroke of the pedal with my finger tips while laying on the ground under the Jeep. With a helper it didn't take long at all.

PS Thanks for confirming I didn't need to remove the straps before mounting the slave...
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #75
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah, I was trying to do it myself. With the Master/slave installed in the vehicle and I must have been getting air back in before I could close the bleader... Not to mention I couldn't get a full stroke of the pedal with my finger tips while laying on the ground under the Jeep. With a helper it didn't take long at all.

PS Thanks for confirming I didn't need to remove the straps before mounting the slave...
hey man, we are all in this together, someone told me, which is why I told you. BTW, I have had better success in the driver's seat, with boots off bleeding the clutch by myself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.