Clutch master cylinder replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch master cylinder replacement

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
89jeepwrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info really helps alot.

89jeepwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Seeing your diagnosing photo, I think mine might need changing. Its not that bad but there is starting to be a little fluid there every once in a while. I wipe it up about once a week when I'm home. I also had to bleed my clutch before I left, the res was pretty low. Guess I'll have this waiting on me when I get home, but does an AX-15 and AX-5 use the same M/C? I'm swapping engine/trans when I get back.
Unread 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90yjkrawler View Post
Seeing your diagnosing photo, I think mine might need changing. Its not that bad but there is starting to be a little fluid there every once in a while. I wipe it up about once a week when I'm home. I also had to bleed my clutch before I left, the res was pretty low. Guess I'll have this waiting on me when I get home, but does an AX-15 and AX-5 use the same M/C? I'm swapping engine/trans when I get back.
Yes, they are the same regardless of 2.5L/AX-5 or 4.0L/AX-15 AFAIK.

Check www.rockauto.com for the best pricing, I usually get them for around $50 including shipping.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice write-up!
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89jeepwrangler View Post
Thanks for the info really helps alot.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
Very nice write-up!
Thanks "neighbor!" I like Rockledge!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #21
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

how do u diagnose that its the master and not the slave? i don't have any visible leaking on either but it runs out everytime i try to drive it. im using a lot of clutch fluid!
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #22
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaofDoom View Post
how do u diagnose that its the master and not the slave? i don't have any visible leaking on either but it runs out everytime i try to drive it. im using a lot of clutch fluid!
If you're losing clutch fluid, you'll see it somewhere.

Look at the under dash pic I posted in post #3 of this thread. Also check around the plastic reservoir & where the master bolts up to the firewall. If there is no signs of fluid loss anywhere around the master, it's time to suspect the slave cylinder.

To check the slave, get under the Jeep & look around the bellhousing area for signs of wetness. Due to the nature of Jeeps to leak oil, the clutch fluid may not look like you expect it to. You might think you're just leaking oil. As an experiement, pour some freash brake fluid on your finger tips. Feel how it kind of feels warm? Now clean your hands & feel around the bellhousing. Does any of that oil residue make your fingers feel warm like the brake fluid? If so you found your leak. Get ready to yank the tranny out.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
JeepJ20

I am rebuilding a 87 and it was missing the clutch master cylinder. I bough a new one which has the thread in fitting. The problem is, my tranny is a NV3550 with external slave and has quick disconnect. I have a line from an S10 with NV3550 so the slave end works but the Master end is also set up for a quick disconnect. Is there a place to buy the right line or should I try compression fittings to adapt to the Master?

Thanks
JeepJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just swapped my master cyl in an 89 4 banger and thought I might post of some of the little hiccups I ran in to, in no particular order:
1. It is WAY easier to get the pedal reattached to the push rod part BEFORE the m/c is actually bolted to the firewall.
2. in an 89 2.5, the bleeder is on the passenger side of the bell housing.
3. I had to soak the fitting in PB blaster for about 2 hours before I could get it out of the m/c without rounding it off. In my car it was the threaded type.
4. Definitely was a good idea to remove the master cyl before bleeding/flushing the whole thing. it had all kinds of junk in it I am glad did not get run through the slave.
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
rcincorporated
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch Noise

My clutch squeaks like an old spring mattress. Can you tell me what this might be and what the fix is.....sounds like something needs lubing????

The sound is whether running, in gear, off, etc....whenever the clutch is push (in and out) every head turns....sucks.
rcincorporated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Solidsolo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the Master Cyclinder.. mine has been doing that and recently the pedal started refusing to retract after pressing (making it very hard to shift)

I'm about to use replace both Master and Slave and this thread will be my guide
Solidsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
girliejeepers

Replaced our slave and master last night. Trying to bleed the system but there is absolutely no pressure on the pedal. We pumped it for 30 min, still nothing?
girliejeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #28
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliejeepers View Post
Replaced our slave and master last night. Trying to bleed the system but there is absolutely no pressure on the pedal. We pumped it for 30 min, still nothing?
Is it a '87-93 style internal, or a '94-'95 external style?

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
girliejeepers

external '98
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #30
girliejeepers

external '98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Is it a '87-93 style internal, or a '94-'95 external style?

Max

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.