Clutch issues after replacing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch issues after replacing

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
cshocker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch issues after replacing

Hi I'm super new to the jeep world and community, so bear with me here please.. Seems like this is the only place I can get some answers. Im just gonna start from the beginning here... Yesterday I installed a whole new clutch kit. Put everything back together. Bled the clutch, had pressure. Pressed on the clutch and the line from the slave to the master popped off, realized the quick disconnect inside that line was all messed up. Today I replaced that. Bled the line...AGAIN.. but now all of a sudden the fluid stopped going into the line, none is coming out when i open the bleed valve? Absolutely no pressure when I press the clutch pedal down.. AND my starter is whining like crazy.. Even gave a good "zing" when I started it last.. Someone PLEASE help me.. Thanks in advance..

cshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeep Forum.

Give us some info/specifications. Tell us what year vehicle you have, what engine/trans etc so we can direct the responses. Fill out your profile etc.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
cshocker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea i guess that would help huh? I have a 93 wrangler 2.5 4cyl not exactly positive of the model of transmission?
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have an AX 5. Being a 93 that also means you have an internal slave. Lucky you. So what end popped off? The quick disco down by the trans? I am guessing you changed out the internal slave as part of your repair job. Do you have any fluid leaking? The pressure required to activate your new internal slave may have been more than your clutch master could activate, and subsequently your master died. Occasionally they will leak down the inside of the firewall inside the passenger compartment as a sign of failure. You may find you need to replace the master now, refill and bleed, etc.
What is going on with your starter? It sounds like the starter drive is not engaging into the flywheel. Provided that you replaced any shims on it, it doesn't seem that simply removing it and bolting it back in would make it fail unless it was really on its way out. Make sure your grounds and connections are good and let us know what a zing is.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
cshocker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ya the quick disco that connects to the slave (which I did replace) is what kept popping off. The last time it lost pressure My buddy that was helping me bleed it said it did leak even tho the line we were having issues with (from the slave to master) was still connected and he didn't know where it was coming from. This was on the engine side of the firewall. The reservoir was completely full still tho,? Could this mean my master went out? Or maybe there's a vacuum lock not allowing the fluid to go down the line therefore causing my clutch not to have pressure? And as far as the starter, after making a horrendous sound it sounded like it just kept spinning when it should have stopped? Not like the noise when you turn the ign when it's already running but more like the starter gear is spinning, rubbing on something after my jeep is started. Unfortunately my jeep is at a friends house and I'm just trying to get as many ideas as I can before I go back over there in a few days to give it another go..
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Difficult to tell, but it does sound like the Master pooped out. Is the starter drive not completely disengaging from the flywheel? You put everything back same way it came off, right?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you need a new clutch master and another starter. The zinging sound is the bendix sticking, which keeps the gear in contact with the flywheel instead of retracting. If you used the wrong bolts the gear fit might be too tight and causing the bendix to stick.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
cshocker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much guys.. I'll be goin back at it on Tuesday and I'll let you know how it goes!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.