Clutch gone out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch gone out?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-15-2001, 04:58 PM   #1
mikeyjph

Clutch gone out?

I'm having a lot of trouble shifting lately, the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging. Normally there is a whirring noise that stops when the clutch goes in, but the whirring isn't stopping now. I called a shop and they said it sounded like the hydraulics or something. Has anyone had a similair problem?

89 yj straight-six 3 1/2 susp lift. 31x10.5's
hopefully more to come. have to keep the damn thing running first.

mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

If u did not have any tranny probs.before its
most likely your clutch the noise I asume you are refering about would be the release bearing,no worryies on that you should replace the bearing and pressure plate when you change the clutch any way.Alot of times when your clutch starts to go out the release bearing is put under extra wear and tear becouse of the heat build up by the clutch slipping,take it to your trusty macanic or shade tree buddies and see what they think
I bet thats the prob..OH forgot when you engage the clutch is the noise more or less
Unread 10-15-2001, 06:15 PM   #3
mikeyjph

The noise doesn't really change, it just takes a lot of muscle to put it into gear. I haven't had any problems with the transmission before, except it slips out of reverse gear sometimes. (I have the Peugot transmission) Thanks
mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2001, 11:44 PM   #4
walt2810

i am also having clutch./tranny problems on my 95 sahara w/ 86k miles. I am gonig to replace clutch & it also maybe the synchros. labor is 250$, aftermarket clutch kit is $175 and whatever else is needed!!!! I hope it isn't much more!!!!
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2001, 06:23 AM   #5
glm 87 wrangler

I did forget to see if it pulls good when you drive.normaly if the clutch is going bad it will slip when taking off,like kinda dont want to go, but then starts pulling,almost like pushing in the clutch while stepping on the gas kinda feel..There should be a single master cylinder were you can add fluid check the level if it good its possable it may be the master cylinder.If you have a haynes man. look in it or get one if you dont thats your bible for your jeep you will need one any way for future repairs.It maybe as easy as replaceing the part or bleeding the system.I hope this helps.But if your jeep is pulling good it may not be the clutch.but you did say before when you engaged the clutch there was a sound change making me think the release bearing is going bad also,I know you said the noise is more current now,which that can also happen.NOTE if you have a lot of miles you may want to go ahead and change the fluid in the tranny.check for metal in the fluid you may see a little thats ok if you see a lot that may not be so good.75w/90wgear lube is what goes in it.use dot 3 brake fluid for clutch master cylinder.GOOD LUCK

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.