Clutch is going.. GOING... almost gone.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch is going.. GOING... almost gone..

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 12-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch is going.. GOING... almost gone..

So just over a year ago, me and my dad replaced the slave clutch cyl in the Jeep with an AutoZone one. It worked great, but recently I have been noticing me having to add fluid to it all the time to keep it working. Bled it off today and it worked like new, until I got in it to drive this afternoon and discovered just how loose it was. Checked the reservoir and it's pretty much empty.

So guess it's time to replace it again. Shouldn't be hard, already done it TWICE.. (had to pull it apart from not connecting the hydro lines properly)

The question is what does everyone recommend for a good replacement? Do I pony up and buy the OEM one? Or is there a good aftermarket one that isn't as much as the OEM? I noticed quadratec has one with a warranty on it, OEM replacement:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52004_01.htm

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OEM or Napa pre-bled. Autozone and Kragen MC parts are garbage. I know this firsthand. When you buy the slave, buy another master and make sure they're metal, not all plastic.
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got mine from Advance and it lasted for the time it took me to put the transmission back in. Yep, it was defective. I took it back and ordered a Sach's kit for just a few dollars more and no shipping charge. Haven't had one problem...
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
mudphish

I just replaced mine with one from Quadratec and it failed in the bleeding process, I am chalking it up to a defective part as maybe I'm a sucked but I don't think they would sell junk. They were very good about it they refunded my shipping and sent me another next day air, now weather that one is junk or not I will be posting.

BTW I would rather have a part with no warranty that lasted then one with one that didn't.
mudphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a better situation for you.

I have a bell housing for the 2.5L external slave.

You could convert it to external while you are at it.

PM me if you are interested.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not too big of a deal for me to replace the slave cyl again. I know how that tranny comes off and could have it done in a few hours, by myself at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty4banger View Post
I have a better situation for you.

I have a bell housing for the 2.5L external slave.

You could convert it to external while you are at it.

PM me if you are interested.
We'll keep in touch...

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. Any opinions on the unit from Quadratec?

Unread 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's an opinion. Dunno if you can use the info. Back when the master went on my 87 cherokee, I found out that you could get either the aluminum/plastic cylinder, or the OEM style cast-iron one. The cast-iron one had a lifetime warranty against anything. The NAPA guy said the other ones had a reputation for warping and wearing out. So I paid the $100 for it. But I wonder if those would fit the wrangler. I never had to think about the clutch again after that. I got the cast-iron master, with the stock OEM internal slave and a borg-warner lifetime clutch kit. Total was about $290 and a weekend wrenching.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The problem I am having is that this is my DD and I need to get to and from work whenever I am called in (I work weekends and am on call during the week). I don't have a ton of money to be spending on parts and i don't have a lot of time to do it. That's why I'd prefer to not buy the dealer part, its out of my budget range.

It's not that i want to go the cheap route as much as the inexpensive route.

Unread 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow the whole external assembly (master, line & slave) is only $30 more than the internal slave:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52010_010.htm

You might even do better price wise from a local parts shop...

Check your PM's
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
mudphish

The Quadratec unit is from Crown Automotive they sell quality products. I will be installing my replacement unit tomorrow and will post if I have any issues.
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
The problem I am having is that this is my DD and I need to get to and from work whenever I am called in (I work weekends and am on call during the week). I don't have a ton of money to be spending on parts and i don't have a lot of time to do it. That's why I'd prefer to not buy the dealer part, its out of my budget range.

It's not that i want to go the cheap route as much as the inexpensive route.
Well, I would trust the NAPA part just as good as the dealer part, especially if you get their "gold" top-of-the-line stuff. Seeing how yer stuck for time and its your DD (same as me) then I would just get the NAPA slave and be done with it. NAPA has never gave me bad stuff, everyone else has.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still weighing my options at this point... Have to see what the budget will allow.

Unread 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I'm still weighing my options at this point... Have to see what the budget will allow.
Just in case you need to know, I found out yrs ago that you can buy a rebuild kit for the master cyl. Basically just a few o-rings and a spring. It was like $20 at NAPA if I remember.
Unread 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
mudphish

Installed the new unit from Quadratec no issues the problem with the new unit that failed was one of the shipping straps did not let go when being bled this forced the bearing to canter and blow the seal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.