Clutch chattering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch chattering

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch chattering

AX-15

Currently 150,600 miles. Replaced clutch and pressure plate around 85K, but I'll admit it was only a $110 dollar clutch. Maybe should have gotten a "better" one.

Problem:

I get a little bit of clutch chatter pulling out in 1st, especially when its cold until the tranny heats up.

My rear main seal does not appear to be leaking. I never have any spots on my garage floor. 6 quarts of oil in, 5 3/4 quarts out on oil changes. However, even if it was a minute leak do you think it could be leaking off slightly onto the flywheel and being sprayed onto the clutch? Hence me thinking it gets better once "warmed up" --- meaning that the friction wears off the tiny bit of oil that may have gotten on it and then feels fine.

Or am I looking at a slave issue?

Thankx

You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The clutch is not maintaining full contact with the pressure plate most likely that's why it is 'chattering'. Why it is not can be caused by several factors. A bad TO bearing or a broken 'finger(s)' on the PP. And then some of the clutch material has gone missing and the list goes on. Oil on the clutch would make it slip.

EDIT: If it is doing mostly when it is cold but not when it gets heated up it might be TO bearing related.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What about your flywheel? Did you get a new one or have it roughed up?
70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sElvis View Post
What about your flywheel? Did you get a new one or have it roughed up?
Good input! And I knew I was forgetting an important possibility. Damn old brain of mine!
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is the great thing about this forum, Laybackman. Second set of eyes always a big help.
70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sElvis View Post
That is the great thing about this forum, Laybackman. Second set of eyes always a big help.
Thank god that's true! The most likely suspect in this case of clutch chatter causes, may very well be that a new clutch & PP was installed along with a new TO bearing, but the flywheel wasn't resurfaced or replaced. Brake job problems can, also, often be attributed to not resurfacing or replacing either the drums or rotors.
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ Ah, no the flywheel has never been touched.

Thankx for the input! I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but I'm parking the Jeep in two weeks until next winter, switching over to my Honda. I'll drop my tranny over the summer when the semester ends.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
GPII
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey you wrote that the problem with a chattering clutch is that it is not maintaining full contact with the pressure plate... I have a chattering clutch but it starts chattering when it gets hot. It would make sense that it would be a warping clutch or pressure plate but just about 8 months ago i replaced both of those. Could it be something different like low fluid... just hoping... i dont want to drop the trans again...
GPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
GPII
1997 TJ Wrangler 

forgot to mention i put in a reman fly wheel as well...
GPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
mb1440
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think it is always a good idea to have the flywheel "turned" anytime you install a clutch just to be on the safe side. Just me 2 cents.
mb1440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.