clunking or tapping from differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clunking or tapping from differential

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

clunking or tapping from differential

I've checked everything. Wheels bearings front end everything is tight checked u joints, drive shaft everything is tight. Has to be the differential didn't have a chance to pull the diff cover yet. Seems to be making noise above 30mph. Seen on youtube guy had same issue with ranger and it turned out to be the pin in the carrier flopping up and down. Any fix for this if it is this? I'm gonna pull the cover in a couple hours to verify.

hifooy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the cover and find out. If you've got some Problems and need some replacement parts I have everything out of my old Dana 30 just sitting around. It's yours for free if shipping isn't too much.
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks i appreciate it. pulled the cover today. everything seems ok...? a good bit of sparkle in the oil no chunks or anything. i cant figure it out. before i got home i put it in neutral it still did it while coasting down hill, put tcase in neutral and it still did it, just to rule that out why would it make a noise above 35mph? if i spin the drive shaft back and forth it does have some slop in it and it clanks if you twist it back and forth but no slop in u joints. i did find a piece of the ebrake cable connected to a bracket with a spring inside the drum doubt it was causing a clicking sound it was just kinda hanging out on the bottom. the rear wheels dont spin very well though if i spin them they stop rather quickly unlike the front wheels. maybe bearings are bad causing the clicking? the wheels do not shake side to side so maybe carrier bearings? i dont know where to look from here.
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did the gears look chewed up? Is there slop in the pinion yoke or carrier/ring gear? If you have a lot of glitter I'd do more investigating. Did you check the spider gears?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing looks chewed up I check all the teeth on the ring gear. From what I can see the pinion didn't have any marks either. If I spin the drive shaft there seems to be slop in the pinion if I spin it back and forth it makes a clank clank noise but moves a good bit. Is that normal?
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I put it up on jack stands and started it up. First gear, let the clutch out and all I got was one wheel moving forward the passenger side. The drivers side was like jerking in the forward direction but wouldn't spin. It is an open diff I kinda expected one wheel forward the other reverse or both wheels forward. Could this be a possible bearing issue?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.