clunking in rear over bumps, getting more frequent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clunking in rear over bumps, getting more frequent

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
dirn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

clunking in rear over bumps, getting more frequent

I'm getting a clunking sound in the rear end, sounds like its on the passengar side. I've noticed that it is getting worse.

Now some back ground info that might be useful.
4" suspension lift- 2yrs old
no rear track bar...

I think its a shock but was wondering if the suspension could be working loose? Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecieated!

Dan

dirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
fishsniper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

In your driveway, try just real slowly and easily rolling forward. If it seems to kinda hang up and not roll smoothly at one point, it could simply be an equalizer in your rear drum. Mine was making a sort of thumping/clunking noise from the rear drivers side and it turned out to just be that equalizer. Got it fixed for free. Hope this helps and thats all it is!! Good luck!
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #464[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
93 YJ, 2" BL w/ 2.5" springs, rear track bar removed, 31x10.50s DuraTracs, 4.0, 5 speed
On a quiet night you can hear the sounds of a HUMMER rusting in the mud, and the man crying when a JEEP is pulling him out
fishsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Findlay_Jeepin
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the torque on the spring hanger bolts. Also check the shock mounts to see if they have come loose.

I had a similar issue with a old truck and found it was actually a rusted out body mount causing the noise.

AC
Findlay_Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just go shake the shock and see if it clunks. If not I'd look at the springs next, then start looking at more obscure items.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

when is it happening?

rolling, speeding up, slowing down, turning?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
dirn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will check those all out.. thanks
The clunking happens all the time.
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
moody
2006 TJ Wrangler 

this may sound crazy but I had the same clunk and was searching everywhere for it and found it was my seat had came unlatched and everytime I hit a bump he would bounce a little...
moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i found that mine was my exhaust hanging too low and hitting stuff
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
GaJeepy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get in there and check your brakes. When I bought my jeep it was making the same sound on the passenger side. When I pulled the hub off, springs and other fun parts from the brake system were laying all over the place.

MUD FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN. ~Red Jeep Club #574
GaJeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im having the same clunking noise (I think) as you. I was under the Jeep looking for the cause and everything looked good on mine other than the shock bushings. All kinds of slop in them and I could move the shocks about 3/4" by hand. Ive got some left over poly shock bushings in the shop so as soon as it warms up a bit around here Im going to replace those and see if it helps mine. I'll let you know if you dont have yours done first.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine makes a clunking noise when I go over speed bumps, it sounds like it is coming from the rear also. It did it when I got it stock and then I lifted it and changed all four breaks, and it still does it. I am going to check my seat and see if that helps.
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check your exhaust and your rear track bar (if'n u still gots it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of things could be loose. Get under there and first look for fresh bang marks. Next grab everything and see if it moves; the most common would be shocks, ubolts or transmission mount.

Get someone to drive slown and lay in the back with your head out the tailgate and look and listen.

Broken spider gears will make a clunck noise as well, which I why I asked earlier about when it was happening. A common symptom for a broken spider would be if the noise happens when accelerating out of a turn; but it is not always like that.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Mine makes a clunking noise when I go over speed bumps, it sounds like it is coming from the rear also. It did it when I got it stock and then I lifted it and changed all four breaks, and it still does it. I am going to check my seat and see if that helps.
I would guess mine is comeing from my tire carrier. I have a bumper with a swing out carrier and the carrier moves up and down on the end that swings. It is not that big of a deal for me but if you have a aftermarket bumper I would check to see if any thing on it moves.
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
dirn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No rear track

I have a feeling its suspension related. I did have to re-torque the ubolts back in the summer, they got real loose. I'm hoping its a shock or a loose nut somewhere.. gonna check a little today

Oh yeah, no tire carrier either.

Last edited by dirn; 02-04-2011 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: added comment

Tags
bumps , clunking , clunking noise , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.