Clunk in front end over slight bumbs what is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clunk in front end over slight bumbs what is it?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Dudeman1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clunk in front end over slight bumbs what is it?

Second annoying issue on new YJ is a clunking noise in front end when going slow speed. Most noticeable when wheel is turned and exiting my driveway onto road where there is a bump. It doesn't happen every time but at a certain angle and speed it makes a loud noise like I am driving a pos. I get it that noises are part of owning a jeep...but, as a new owner I am just trying to figure out what I have on my hands in it's present condition! Nothing appears loose or untight down below. I greased what I could on the front end and I will be doing a full service shortly. Just thought I would try to use some of your brains to help pinpoint things to specifically check when I get it jacked up. I assume this may be a bushing, u joint, or similar issue and with this post I know you can't be sure but any insight on what I should look for first would be great. Thanks in advance I sell insurance for a living so kind of, no, rather a total toolbag here when it comes to mechanical wherewithal.

Dudeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check the trans mount.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue, well maybe still have, i don't know yet. I checked everything i could think of and nothing jumped out at me except my sway bar links, and a couple of my spring bushings didn't look so hot. Also two body mounts were bad. I purchased a complete bushing kit from quadratech, bodymounts, all track and sway bar bushings ( yeah i still got em,) spring bushings. Also changing the shocks sooo hopefully in doing this i might have cured it. In the process of changing these i decided to clean up the frame so it hasn't been on the road for a while. Mine was a definite clunk only at slow speeds and with a slight bump w/the wheels turned slightly. Some will say u-joints but mine seem fine. Maybe take a piece off at a time and see if it goes away to pinpoint it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jonny93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Dudeman1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas
Dudeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do you still have the trac bar installed? If so, then remove it and move it to the nearest dumpster, then try driving it again to see if the banging is still there. Nothing lost in this venture, as the trac bars on a YJ are about as useful as boobies on a bull
I would say trac bar bushings from your description, but could be other bushings/tie rod ends/etc too
Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My first thought was also front trac bar. If not then I'd check ball joints and tie rods.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trac bar.. mine does the same thing. i just ignore it. i didnt want to remove it cause it helps with steering and also from breaking shackles.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing except it doesn't really seem to matter what speed I am going or where I have my wheels pointed. Over the past few months I have replaced: steering box, draglink, tie rod, all tierod ends, all four balljoints, shocks, wheel bearings, both motor mounts, tranny mount and torque arm, brake calipers, pads, and rotors. Pretty much rebuilt the entire front end of my Jeep and then some. I didn't do all of this because of the noise but I figured one of those things listed would take care of it. Also I don't have a sway bar or track bars, I use those to keep the tarp from blowing off of my stingray project lol. It almost sounds like someone is picking the motor up about 3 to 4 inches and dropping it. The only thing I can think of is the springs/shackles because they are the only thing that I haven't replaced. I have noticed that my spring packs shift around quite a bit after taking the track bars off. The drivers side military wrap is touching the mount on the frame and I can hear them cracking and popping when I am wheeling it. I am about to do a springover and will be replacing the springs and shackles (3.5" bds springs and 1" shackles) with stock length boomerangs and RE 1.5" springover springs. So we'll see if the clunk will go away.
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, and allow me to apologize in advance for this stupid question.

Have you checked your motor mounts yet?

Other than that, with all you have done, I am at a loss. Other than checking all U Joints including the most important, the ones at your front steering near the wheels. 6 total U Joints.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Tongie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dead cat
Tongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, this is embarrasing but in the spirit of sharing to help...

Had this thunk once in a while when going over a bump. Drove me crazy. I checked everything I could get my hands on but couldn't find it. One day I pop the hood and notice the battery on its side. Acid and spilled out and done wonders for the 4wd vacuum tubes. The thunking was Jo-Jo telling me the stinkin' battery strap had come off and the ol' 12 volter was bouncing around like a pogo stick.
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same thing in jeep , for me it was the front center bolt on my bodylift . theres only one mount in the front of the jeep from the doors to the bumper its in the front under the radiator, make it good and snug if not when you turn its a lot of strees on the front of your jeep and it will make noise, i hope that helped .
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.