Clogged fuel lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clogged fuel lines?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clogged fuel lines?

Hey guys

After a 2 year body off project, I've finally gotten most of the heep back together. When I try to start the jeep, fuel leaks out just forward of the fuel filter (new tank and filter) almost like it's hitting a blockage in the fuel line closer to the engine. Gas never does make it all the way forward. Is it possible for these lines to get clogged? Ay recommendations for troubleshooting or where to start?

Thanks
Jeremy

jjs89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where do you mean by "leaks in front of the fuel filter"? Is it the connection point on the filter itself?

If it's at the connection point and you still have the metal lines, check to make sure you did not cross thread it. If it's rubber, then check the hose is not cracking and the little slits on the worm (hose) clamp did not cut the rubber. Would use EFI calamba that have solid bands if you can.

If connection is good---then I'd disconnect the line from the filter then disconnect the other end at the rail and either use a MightyVac (hand vaccum often used to bleed brakes) or an sir compressor set no higher than 30 psi if it can and pressurize the line to check for blockage. If pressure builds up then something's wedged in there. Either replace the line or "snake" it out with a small electricians snake---then Blow the line out and hook it back up to your filter but NOT to the rail. I'd put a bucket up front and purge the line for a few seconds with fresh fuel to flush the line again.

Then reconnect -- get out there and wheel it. -- break it and post here with the new dilemma :thumbs:

Good luck.
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response! I checked connections and they aren't too bad. Disconnected the line at the outlet of the fuel filter and at the rail and hooked my compressor up to it and nothing is clogged. When I turn the key the pump runs and the jeep turns over, but then gas sprays out the rear connection on the fuel filter. Sort of like when when your thumb is over the end of a hose. I've tightened this connection down but still sprays. Any ideas fellas?

Thanks
Jeremy
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah - is your filter in backwards? I guess that could cause back pressure and make it leak at the connection point on the rear. I know it sounds basic, bout it's possible to mistake the direction.

see this link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...cement-903082/
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The arrow on the filter should face towards the front of the jeep, right?
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

yep - sounds like that's not it. I have never tried, but is there a way to test the flow of the filter itself?
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the fuel filter with another new one and it's not spewing gas everywhere now. I guess the other one was just a bad one. I still can't get the jeep started though. It'll crank and every now and then it sounds like it might start, but no dice. I've replaced the plugs with copper ones with a 35 gap.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have fuel at the rail?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.