Clocking on the 231 transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clocking on the 231 transfer case

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Clocking on the 231 transfer case

Is the difference on the transfer case or is it on the trans between the cherokee and the wrangler?

Bastidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The transmission mounting holes are different on the cherokee. The transfer cases are the same.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ult is right, however the trans (AX-15) has room for both sets of drilled holes in the 6 interface bosses. I drilled out my AX-15 to allow the other clocking.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

When using a non YJ AX tranny in a YJ, the NP231 transfer case will hit the skid plate because the T-case is "clocked" 10 degrees lower on the driver side, but you can redrill the location of the mounting holes at the rear of the transmission.

The transfer case clocking is determined by the mounting holes on the output of the transmission. Simply redrill the holes to raise the transfer case to the YJ height. In this pic, the holes on the right on each tab are the newly drilled holes that the YJ configuration requires to clear the skid plate.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

This should just be made a sticky already considering how many times it gets asked.
Unread 06-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
This should just be made a sticky already considering how many times it gets asked.
You are making the assumption that the existence of a perfect answer in a sticky/FAQ somehow reduces the occurrence of newbs asking anyway. What it does is give us a place to point them too, and maybe type a bit less.
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
When using a non YJ AX tranny in a YJ, the NP231 transfer case will hit the skid plate because the T-case is "clocked" 10 degrees lower on the driver side, but you can redrill the location of the mounting holes at the rear of the transmission.

The transfer case clocking is determined by the mounting holes on the output of the transmission. Simply redrill the holes to raise the transfer case to the YJ height. In this pic, the holes on the right on each tab are the newly drilled holes that the YJ configuration requires to clear the skid plate.

Max

Was this done by you??? Can you do a write up if so?????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
It's a fairly simple procedure. Just make a template, rotate the template, mark and drill.

Took me about 30 minutes.
Unread 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
No it wasn't, but I have a template for doing that procedure. Coincidentally I have an AX-15 on the bench right now. It's a true YJ model, but I can use my template to demonstrate & document the procedure.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No it wasn't, but I have a template for doing that procedure. Coincidentally I have an AX-15 on the bench right now. It's a true YJ model, but I can use my template to demonstrate & document the procedure.

Max
I hope to see this soon. Thanks in advance for a write up.
Bastidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Max
So does this means that a NP 231 from an XJ, swapped into a YJ won't need any re-clocking?
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
So does this means that a NP 231 from an XJ, swapped into a YJ won't need any re-clocking?
Yes, fits in fine.
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is one technique for redrilling the output housing of a transmission to re-clock the transfer case. http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4b/aw-4b-4.htm
As frequently as this gets asked, we really should have our own writeup though, I dont have an XJ tranny laying around to do this on or I'd do one up for the FAQ.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.