Clock wont work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clock wont work

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
mbindel1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Clock wont work

I have taken the dash off and looked at the back of the gauges and all of the wiring is plugged in completely. All of the other gauges work except the clock and I was wondering if the ribbon behind the clock could be the problem. It seems like it has gotten wet before. Does anyone know what color wire powers the clock or how to test if it should work?

mbindel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
gsnfl
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put a tester on mine...got 12 volts and decided the clock was bad.
Then I remembered I wear a watch and quit caring
gsnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine's the same way. I've decided to put a blank over it and use it as a CB mic holder location. Besides, my aftermarket radio has a clock, why do I need two?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...repair-428052/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnfl View Post
Then I remembered I wear a watch and quit caring

Mine doesn't work either...but I have much bigger things to fix before I worry about the clock!
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is the second thread like this that I've been involved in. Today after work I decided I would tear into my gauge package and see what the heck was really going on.

20 minutes later we have this:

Here is the gauge package wiring diagram for the '87:

So what did I do and how did I figure it out so quickly? Well, first of all, I took nothing for granted. In the wiring diagram I saw the 20A fuse for the courtesy lamps, clock, and dome light. That was the first thing I checked. Turns out the PO put a 10A fuse in. Of course it was blown.

Second, I took apart the gauge cluster and tested pins 3 & 7 to verify 12VDC at the plug. Good to go. Checked it at the back of the clock. No good.

Third, I noticed that the printed sheet looked pretty nasty right by the clock. In fact it was separating. I gently peeled it apart and put some dielectric grease on the screw terminals at the clock as well as squirted some under the printed sheet area that looked questionable. Reconnected the wiring harness and CHA CHING!! the clock started working!!!

Moral of my story: Don't jump to troubleshooting step E before performing steps A,B,C and D.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
This is the second thread like this that I've been involved in. Today after work I decided I would tear into my gauge package and see what the heck was really going on.

20 minutes later we have this:

Here is the gauge package wiring diagram for the '87:

So what did I do and how did I figure it out so quickly? Well, first of all, I took nothing for granted. In the wiring diagram I saw the 20A fuse for the courtesy lamps, clock, and dome light. That was the first thing I checked. Turns out the PO put a 10A fuse in. Of course it was blown.

Second, I took apart the gauge cluster and tested pins 3 & 7 to verify 12VDC at the plug. Good to go. Checked it at the back of the clock. No good.

Third, I noticed that the printed sheet looked pretty nasty right by the clock. In fact it was separating. I gently peeled it apart and put some dielectric grease on the screw terminals at the clock as well as squirted some under the printed sheet area that looked questionable. Reconnected the wiring harness and CHA CHING!! the clock started working!!!

Moral of my story: Don't jump to troubleshooting step E before performing steps A,B,C and D.
Nice post. This is certain to help those with this issue. At least those who want to fix their issue with the clock. Keep up the good work!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to have a clock.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The circuit pathway is damaged. The + pathway for the clock is the very outside pathway and gets damaged easily. Your answer is the clock has 12v+ constant from the pink wire on the harness. Look on the back of the clock and it has + and - terminals marked. If you have power at the pink wire, run a jumper to the + terminal on the clock. Done.

You will soon experience trouble with the rest of your gauges, be prepared to replace the pathway for about $80 or you can hardwire them.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ View Post
The circuit pathway is damaged. The + pathway for the clock is the very outside pathway and gets damaged easily. Your answer is the clock has 12v+ constant from the pink wire on the harness. Look on the back of the clock and it has + and - terminals marked. If you have power at the pink wire, run a jumper to the + terminal on the clock. Done.

You will soon experience trouble with the rest of your gauges, be prepared to replace the pathway for about $80 or you can hardwire them.

Did you replace the circuit board? If so, did you get the one from Morris 4x4? If so, how do you like it?

Although I got my clock to work, my gauges are suspect at best. I'm thinking of just replacing the circuit board with the next paycheck.

Unread 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
mbindel1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After running a line directly from the pink wire my clock now works. Thanks for all the help
mbindel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If there is power then the contacts internall usually have burnt open because of no arc suppression. If you can get it apart, find the contacts and clean them with an eraser
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.