JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Clifford Performance camshaft for my 2.5L or just a regular camshaft? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/clifford-performance-camshaft-my-2-5l-just-regular-camshaft-1013361/)

r_unda 04-15-2010 12:40 PM

Clifford Performance camshaft for my 2.5L or just a regular camshaft?

I posted this question at the TJ forum but I am hopping to get some answers here.

I will be replacing the camshaft on my jeep and I am trying to decide what I should buy. Will I actually notice a difference in performance? I know itís only a 4cyl but a little bit of gain would help.

If you actually have a 4 cylinder engine and installed a performance camshaft please let me know what your opinion/experience is/was.

Thank you,

Raul

czjeeper 04-15-2010 01:11 PM

I'm interested in this as well.
Do you have to smog check yours?

moonshinefuel 04-15-2010 01:14 PM

I think you will notice. Just put in a mild cam. It will be something you notice, yes. I would do it myself if and when the opportunity arrises. That's my opinion.

Alabamaranger 04-15-2010 01:56 PM

With the gas going up, I would stay stock. Every hp cam I put in usually came out a few months later. I think the stock cam with give you the best performance on the low end, where you need it while offroading. If you are on the highway most of the time, I would not go with anything big. Stay in the range of a RV type cam size (low to mid range).

Burnerman 04-15-2010 03:12 PM

If you have Fuel injection a cam will most likely not perform very well unless you make adjustments to the ECM. The computer is programmed for the stock cam. It won't be able to take advantage of the cam without modding the program or modding the sensors to give readings that the computer can use to take advantage of the cam. IE: adjustable map sensor...

r_unda 04-16-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnerman (Post 9291074)
If you have Fuel injection a cam will most likely not perform very well unless you make adjustments to the ECM. The computer is programmed for the stock cam. It won't be able to take advantage of the cam without modding the program or modding the sensors to give readings that the computer can use to take advantage of the cam. IE: adjustable map sensor...

So I guess I should stay with a regular camshaft.

When I talked to Larry from Clifford he mentioned that they have to models for the camshafts. That if I ordered one I should make sure I mentioned that it is for an EFI 2.5L and that I could only run their 264 degree camshaft because thatís the only one my stock engine and ECU could handle.

Burnerman 04-16-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

I could only run their 264 degree camshaft because that’s the only one my stock engine and ECU could handle.
If the manufacturer says it'll work with the stock ECU then you could do it. It may gain you some HP. The ECU can handle small changes and adjust but too much and it goes out of it's range and will have a negative effect on performance. The ODB 1 is tougher to program then ODB2. Think Fast & Furious, the ricer guys with the laptop plugged in remapping the ECU to get the engine to run fast with all the head work cam and larger injectors.;) I hate that movie...

moonshinefuel 04-16-2010 06:42 PM

Good stuff^, all of it. So the 264 degree camshaft is other than stock? What is stock specs? And what would be stock? My understanding was the stock cam was really lacking and meant to please the masses, and you could step it up just a little bit and you should be fine. But that is not nesessarily true?

Castr8r 04-16-2010 10:47 PM

I'm running a Clifford cam and Clifford headers on my 2.5 banger. The cam is supposed to put out more low end torque, and the headers are a "long tube" design that also enhances low end torque. They work well together. Don't get hung up on HP ratings, low and mid range torque is what you should be looking for. As Z. A. Duntov said "Torque is what moves a car; horsepower is what sells them."

r_unda 04-19-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castr8r (Post 9299649)
I'm running a Clifford cam and Clifford headers on my 2.5 banger. The cam is supposed to put out more low end torque, and the headers are a "long tube" design that also enhances low end torque. They work well together. Don't get hung up on HP ratings, low and mid range torque is what you should be looking for. As Z. A. Duntov said "Torque is what moves a car; horsepower is what sells them."

So you actually felt the difference? I just need a little more power to move my 33's. I already regeared but I could always use a little more if I can.

Robert J. yates 04-19-2010 10:10 AM

There is a fair bit of mis-information in this thread. First, Jeep OBDI is far easier to tune than OBDII. Second, as long as the lobe separation angle for the cam you are looking at is designed for use in a fuel injected motor, then you can run a cam just fine without having to add a programmer/piggyback.

91BoD 04-19-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert J. yates (Post 9310945)
There is a fair bit of mis-information in this thread. First, Jeep OBDI is far easier to tune than OBDII.

care to explain? I personally would love to hook my laptop up to it and monitor/adjust stuff.. But if there is an easy and even simpler way to do this with OBD1 I'm all ears...

Matt_vs_YJ 04-20-2010 05:30 AM

I don't have experience with the Clifford cam, but I did install a Hesco RVOB4 when I did a complete rebuild a while back. I can feel a difference in the low-mid range torque, but my engine was only running on 3 cylinders before, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I'm not sure how it compares to stock or the Clifford, but here's the specs:

Hesco RVOB4
Advertised duration: 264 214@ .050
Lobe centers: 110 degrees
Lift: 470

The time now is 05:34 PM.