Clicking noise from front driver side wheel area. PLEASE HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clicking noise from front driver side wheel area. PLEASE HELP

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Checkalicious
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clicking noise from front driver side wheel area. PLEASE HELP

I just changed my wheels to 31's and now when I'm going 20-25mph and apply brakes I get a weird clicking noise from the front driver side. If I lightly apply the brakes no clicking noise, but when I hit the brakes like a normal stop i.e. pulling up to a stop sign it makes the clicking noise. Also if I really apply the brakes a little more harder its a real rapid clicking noise. Now when the clicking noise is going on I have no vibration in the steering wheel.

Now the tires I typically run my jeep on is the factory size (do this for mpg's). I recently rebuilt my power steering gear box. But the gear box has been silent and working proper for about a month now. I'm guessing I won't be going wheeling tomorrow now, but still trying to for sunday.

Any help would be awesome thanks for your time. Also I checked the u-joint already and seems to be in good working order on both sides

Checkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How did you check the u-joints? Just curious. It's the first thing I thought of. If it's actually brake related you would typically be able to feel it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Checkalicious
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I jacked the Jeep up and grabbed the u-joint and was trying to move it around to feel for play. There wasn't any on the driver side or passenger side. I was thinking u-joint as well. Did I check it right cause I was just reading other threads about u-joint issues and that seemed to be the common answer for checking them.
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Checkalicious
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also I was thinking the same thing with brakes typically a noise like that would give a vibration in the steering wheel. Could it be a bearing, or some other junk like that?
Unread 09-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
tloftin86
1992 YJ Wrangler 

did you grease the u joints and everything else up under there? When mine did that it was in the rear and it turned out my yoke was warped
tloftin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its likely you have worn caliper brackets. Take the caliper off and look for divets in the slides. My DD xj did the samething when moving slow gently ride the brakes and it goes away.
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Checkalicious
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No I didn't grease stuff up yesterday (no clue why I didn't) but I will now. Also I will check the caliper brackets. Thanks everyone hoping these ideas work for two reasons they sound cheap and I'll be able to hit the trails up today.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.