Clicking ax-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clicking ax-5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-22-2002, 10:13 AM   #1
purplejeep

Clicking ax-5

I have an 87 wrangler with the 151 4 cyl and ax-5 trans.
The problem I am having is that while driving down the highway at around65 m.p.h. I noticed a new sound. (not a good thing). I now have a click (fairly loud) in every gear I am in. Whether I am rolling or at idle sitting I still have the loud click. The only time I dont have it when the Jeep is running is if I have the clutch depressed.
Any ideas? T/o bearing, bad gear, or bad bearing??? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. I haven't tore into it yet due to the foot or so of snow on the ground here. I was hoping someone else may have encountered the same thing and could steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:49 AM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I get a sound that's sort of half-click/half-rattle whenever the clutch is engaged (pedal released). It started soon after I had the clutch replaced, and like your sound, goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. In my case, I think it's just the t.o. bearing rattling against the throwout flanges on the pressure plate assembly. It hasn't caused any drivability or reliability issues (if it was gonna break, it prolly would've by now), and is easily abated by increasing the radio volume.

Is there any way you could record a sound clip of your clicking noise and post the sound file somewhere? Maybe take one recording near the bell housing, one near the body of the tranny, and one near the transfer case?
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.