click pop click pop???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > click pop click pop????

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

click pop click pop????

put in a d30 that had tj shafts and an aussie locker in it when i acclerate it pulls hard left and when i turn right it makes a click pop noise like binding or something never driven with a locker so not sure it this is common but it doesnt seem right.

Brown6041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's not.
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

does anyone know what it could be or why its happeneing
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Its either a u joint of the locker. You gotta pull the cover to check it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown6041 View Post
put in a d30 that had tj shafts and an aussie locker in it when i acclerate it pulls hard left and when i turn right it makes a click pop noise like binding or something never driven with a locker so not sure it this is common but it doesnt seem right.
Tolerances on the Aussie could be off. I agree on checking the u-joints.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed my TJ shafts I also had to swap out the rotors, the YJ rotors were rubbing the ears of the axle. The TJ rotors give me the right clearance, theres only like a 1/8 difference between the two. Its something to do with the difference in bearing..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok i looked inside it and the locker looks to be ok no chips or anything like that. Which u-joint are yall talking about the axle u-joints? Also just for the record i took the front drive shaft off and everything is fine so i assume it is in the axle somewhere because from my understanding the locker doesnt really do anything unless the drive shaft is applying tourqe to it .........
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This may be a stupid question but, is it pulling only on hard surfaces or is it pulling on dirt also?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

um not a stupid question im not sure ,i just know after i putthe axle in i went to take a test drive and it was pulling hard left when i hit the gas and when i took slow right turns it made loud CLICK POP CLICK POP almost like if you had a bas cv joint in a car...........but when i take the driveshaft off and drive around i doesnt do that i have new u-joints in the driveshaft too just to clarify. i hear it shoul dmake a ratchet noise which it does when i jacked up the front end and checked it
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok i looked inside it and the locker looks to be ok no chips or anything like that. Which u-joint are yall talking about the axle u-joints? Also just for the record i took the front drive shaft off and everything is fine so i assume it is in the axle somewhere because from my understanding the locker doesnt really do anything unless the drive shaft is applying tourqe to it .........
did you check the tolerances to the Aussie recommended specs?
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what are they and how do i check them??
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Call aussie I don't have them anymore. Both aussie and lockrights come with gap tollerance spec in the install directions
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It doesn't do it with the driveshaft in but it does with it installed in two-wheel drive??? Even in two-wheel there is no torque applied. Only torque when in four-wheel. Did I miss something?

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8AHUMR View Post
It doesn't do it with the driveshaft in but it does with it installed in two-wheel drive??? Even in two-wheel there is no torque applied. Only torque when in four-wheel. Did I miss something?
thats a good point i think ur right so if that is the case does this mean the transfer case is not fully disengaged. not sure how this would happen.
If there was slack in your linkage shifting from 4h to 2wd could it cause it to maybe catch or somethin??????

everyone ask ur friends i am and i really wanna drive my jeep
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think people have encountered this issue when towing with a lunchbox up front with the driveshaft installed. I believe there's something with the 231 (yj years) that results in the front and rear not being 100% decoupled and this issue was experienced when a lunchbox was installed during flat towing. I can't remember exactly what I've read but this issue has been seen before. The fix was to replace a certain piece in the xfer case which results in the front and rear being fully disengaged. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. Can someone chime in that knows what they're talking about?

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.