Click,Click...won't start. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Joe jeep

Click,Click...won't start.

My Yj won't start. My starter/celonoid, were tested and are fine. Tomarrow i am going to clean the wires that connect to the celonoid. If the going gets tough, than i am going to test my alternator also. I am also going to check under the dash, but im kinda weary about the wireing, so thats last.

?if their is a crack in the distributor, where will it be exactly. Inside or outside, or possibly both.

?Coil: is their some kind of check i can perform on my coil, to see if its working.

?if my alternator goes bad, than will my battery loose juice.

Black 88 YJ 4.2L.
Hurculined Front Grill and Fenders
TRAILAMSTER 2" LEAFS.
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
HEI DISTRIBUTOR W/EXTERNAL COIL, BOSCH+2'S
M.O.R.E Boomerang greasable shackeles all the way around.
Hood lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

Ok Joe, I don't know why your YJ wont start but just for the hell of it . Did you check the battery? You can test your altenator by jumping it off get it started and disconect your red (+) battery cable if it dies .. Bad altenator if it doesn't then thats not your problem. Check battery and cables .. Check cable themselves
one of mine rotted in half but the rubber was still intact. I had to wiggle it to get a connection.
Now to answer your questions.

1 The distributor would have to be cracked all the way thru to make any difference.(Probobly not your problem unless you are running rough)

2 you can check your coil by pulling coil wire from your distrubutor
and sticking a screw driver in the end of it and have someone turn
the motor over ( Hold the screw driver by the handle and near the engine block ) you should see the spark .

3 yes your battery will die if your altenator is weak because your battery will be running all your lights and radio . Probobly wont run for long like that.

Hope that helps.
Sorry post so long.

Just another soccer moms Grocery getter....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 PM
PONCH

I had this same problem recently. My friends and I went through all the wires and couldn't find a problem and the battery cables didn't look bad but just to be sure I snipped the ends off, cut the rubber casing off to expose fresh wire, hooked it back up and started up no problem.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Joe jeep

Well

I sanded the connectors on both ends, positive and negative. Nothing. I inspected the wires. But i didn't snip the ends for a new connections. im so frustraited with the thing. so im going to take it to a mechanic. depending on the price either i will buy my self or let him fix it.
thx

Black 88 YJ 4.2L.
TRAILAMSTER 2" LEAFS.
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
Hood lock
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Meister_jeep

I have been fighting with my 88 for the same reason almost. I live in quebec, Canada and hell we get tons and tons of snow. I have had my jeep do the same thing. You get in ready to go and turn the key and CLICK CLICK but it won't start. I normally can get it to go if I jump it from inside the hood. Sometimes it won't even click. I found that if I hold the key for a few seconds like 20 second it will all of a sudden start up. We believe it is ice or condensation that is forming on the contacts inside the starter. Maybe if you have gone wheeling you got some water inside the starter since they are in the worst possible position or maybe sand or something(i've seen it happen) or that the rotor in the starter is SPOTTED and it happens that when it lines up it won't make good contact. I've gone through 3 starters in 2 months. One of them lasted 10 minutes and my latest one lasted like 1 1/2 months. On my part it did not do it all the time but enough to piss me off. Hope it is of some help

1988 YJ 4.2l
__________________________________________________ __
WEBER CARB
NUTTER BYPASS
FIBERGLASS BODY TUB
BDS 3.5
SYE+CV SHAFT
FORD 8.8 WITH 4.10 GEARS, DISK BRAKES
33x12.50 GOODYEAR MT/R's ON AR767 15x8
CUSTOM STANLESS STEEL DISCO`s
JUICEBOX.
LED TAIL LIGHTS
$10 homemade POSILOCK
__________________________________________________ __
(IN THE WORKS THIS SUMMER)
-Custom front and rear bumpers
-HEI UPGRADE
-4.0 HEAD
-MIGHT TRY THE JEEP INJECTION KIT FROM WEBER
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2003, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Joe jeep

I got it!

i went to a local mechanic and he told me that its was definatly my starter. But i told him that it tested well at the test bench. And he said that those benches don't even work identical to the vehicles battery. Since The test bench at the autoparts has a dedicated connection to the starter, no other power is being shared with the starter so it works.

Black 88 YJ 4.2L.
TRAILAMSTER 2" LEAFS.
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
Hood lock
post #7 of 7 Old 01-26-2003, 03:28 PM
thecarman

Re: I got it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe jeep
i went to a local mechanic and he told me that its was definatly my starter. But i told him that it tested well at the test bench. And he said that those benches don't even work identical to the vehicles battery. Since The test bench at the autoparts has a dedicated connection to the starter, no other power is being shared with the starter so it works.
Yeah usually when it just clicks it is the starter.

1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L (White)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.