cleaning a motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cleaning a motor

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cleaning a motor

hey all i was wondering how u all wash your motors down.. mine has alot of crap all over it and i want to was it give it a good cleaning before i put in my new dizzy and rebuild my carb.. i have a power washer if thats what u all are using
Jeremy

Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinkin of doin mine soon too cause it sure needs it...I've read on here that a power washer & engine degreaser is your best bet. I've also read that you want to steer clear of getting electrical parts wet & you should stand 3ft or more away with the power washer, but I've also read threads where people have said it's ok to get electrical parts wet, as long as you let everything dry for quite a few hours before starting up the jeep. You may be able to do a search & get more info on washing the engine compartment.
NineohsevenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I rarely wash my engine. If I do, I am very selective as to where I am pointing the nozzle. Too may wires, sensors, and other I am concerned about. Its best if you just use different types of scrub brushes and such, and wash it by hand in my opinion.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

use lots of jungle jake degreaser and hose it down, brush were its very badly caked on. if it doesnt start you probably just got moisture under your dist cap. I use a pressure washer on mine but never put the nozzle up close to anything for fear of blowing a gasket out or getting wires wet where they shoudnt be wet.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I've blasted my 2.5L several times at a coin operated car wash and never had any problems.

I blast everything in sight and make no attempt to stay away from the dizzy or anything electrical. Start it right up afterwards and drive it away.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
tyrap26
1991 YJ Wrangler 

same here, i wash all my engines with the pressure washer, im not to shy around anything but the alternator...
i use foam cleaner.. works great every time. i drive the vehicle for a few minute so its a lil warm(get the grease soft) then foam it, proceed to the power wash. let dry for a few and drive away
tyrap26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
k2enemy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mean Green and a nozzled hose work well for dirty engines. I generally use foaming engine cleaner for mine when it gets filthy. They say to be careful around certain things and I never listened until my tach line coming from the distributor became corroded and the tach ceased to work. Just make sure you let the engine get hot to dry it off soon after.
k2enemy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.