CJ7 Hardtop and fiberglass doors. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ7 Hardtop and fiberglass doors.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

CJ7 Hardtop and fiberglass doors.

I will have photos tomorrow when it's sunny. But at this moment the top doesn't fit. I have to remove the two bars that go to the windshield in order to fit. Wasn't really counting on that. I was going to start cutting away. But the sun went down, and I think the dusk saved me from doing something very stupid. I'm not sure. But the top is in great shape. And the doors, even better. I just have to get new strikers to make them work. They are the double window doors. They are the ones with the window at the bottom of the door and the slider up top. I don't know who makes them, if anyone knows, please tell me. Also, the grand total for this............ drum roll............. 200 dollars. So I'm going to sell my metal cj7 doors and make my money back. I just wanted to toot my horn. Seems like I never get a deal. But today..... just did.

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Badass!
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey SuperJ. I'm originally from Corpus. Is the brown tide gone yet? I'm going to try and make it back to Bob Hall before the summer is up.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same problem. All I did was took a grinder and cut out two slots on the inner "lip" the top that were hitting the cross bars. I will say the grinder probably isn't the best thing to use though. It heated up the fiberglass and it melted and dripped all over. It worked, but was a bit of a mess. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow when I get home.
rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man. Do you think removing the bars would help?
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
Thanks man. Do you think removing the bars would help?
Yeah it fits fine without the bars, but I just got tired of removing them whenever I had to put the hard top on. Plus, I wanted to put a speaker bar and without the bars installed that wasn't possible.
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

https://fbcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.ne...43717754_n.jpg
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like it fit pretty well! Here's a pic of what I did to mine. This is the driver's side. The arrow points to the part I cut out.

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That is exactly where I'm going to cut when I get time. You wouldn't believe the sound difference with my stereo compared to the soft top. Wow. I have 2 250W RMS Kendwood 6X9s powered by an 850 Watt amp. I can now hear every bass note. It was already loud, but now I can hear everything. My next step is now to get A/C. I've been trying to find someone selling theirs on craigslist, but no luck. I may have to save up for a JeepAir kit. New is nice, but I don't have the resources to get a new system. Do you know what kind of weather stripping I can use? I need to find out where to get the strikers for the ACME fiberglass doors. I have to have those doors on, they are sick! Window on the bottom and top. I still can't believe I got all of this for 200 dollars. Here's another picture.
1011883_10151416610471642_1343717754_n.jpg  
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just used weather stripping like for campers. You can buy a roll of it at Wal Mart or pretty much any hardware store. As for the strikers, well, I'm not sure. Maybe check a junk yard??? Good luck on the a/c! I just finally got mine up and running after about 8 years of being on the fritz. It was just from my laziness cause all I needed to replace was the blower fan!
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haha. I would have had the a/c already cranking by then. This weekend I'm going to drill out the windshield channel and rivet the top straight to it. I'm also going to get some form of insulation and marine grade carpeting and make a headliner. I'm going to head to lowes and buy some of that weather stripping. I can't wait to spruce this up. It's amazing, I no longer get a screaming semi truck invading my ears anymore. I love this thing. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually.
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
Haha. I would have had the a/c already cranking by then. This weekend I'm going to drill out the windshield channel and rivet the top straight to it. I'm also going to get some form of insulation and marine grade carpeting and make a headliner. I'm going to head to lowes and buy some of that weather stripping. I can't wait to spruce this up. It's amazing, I no longer get a screaming semi truck invading my ears anymore. I love this thing. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually.
dont use rivits.. Use these and regular bolts.. If you want to remove them after taking your hard top off you can. I used the 3/8-24 thread on mine.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
dont use rivits.. Use these and regular bolts.. If you want to remove them after taking your hard top off you can. I used the 3/8-24 thread on mine.
Or if you have a soft top, just use the backplates from the soft top rails. Just get some 1 1/2 to 2" hex head bolts from Lowes and some washers.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What is that retainer called?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.