CJ tailgate on a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ tailgate on a YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
dt's YJ

CJ tailgate on a YJ

Age old story, my tailgate hinges ripped the tailgate on my YJ from carrying a 33x9,5 spare on the OEM tire carrier. I know I need a swing away or this will keep happening, but most importantly, I need a new tailgate. I was thinking of the conversion from the side hinges to the bottom hinges, CJ style. I'm a square headlight kinda guy, but I like the idea of a pickup truck style tailgate. Will a CJ tailgate physically fit in the opening of a YJ? I know I will have to do some customizing to make it "CJ style", but can I use a CJ tailgate or do I need a YJ or TJ Gate?

dt's YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

first of the month while in moab, I was talking about doing this very thing as well.
I hate opening the rear swing away tail gate and having crap fall all over the place.
I CJ7 fold down tailgate would be far more ideal IMHO, it becomes a make shift work surface, as well as a quick bench to sit on while taking a trail break, etc.

Post up here if you have seen this done or come across any write ups.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
mYJ

There is a member on here that has done the swap, can't remember who though. I've been planning this as well but there are some issues to deal with. First you will need to put a bracing behind the body where the hinges would be located under the gate. You will also need to get a CJ latching mechanism to keep the gate closed and you will lose the ability to lock the gate as on a YJ. You will have some top issues as the the soft/hard tops on YJs are slightly different where the gate closes against them. You will have to deal with the spare as well with a swinger on the bumper or put it in the bed as I've done. As said, I will be doing this in the spring because having a "real" tailgate that lays down will be cool not to mention having the Jeep stamped in the back.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

look for threads started by "superjoe". he has a nice writeup

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think some one with wicked fab skills should convert the YJ gate to fold down, still utilizing the same latch/release system to maintian securtiy, and have them cool tailgate cables like on the full size trucks.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Stangman516

yep, superjoe did that on his YJ i'm sure he'll post in here eventually.
l---L--?lllllll?-

()_) ()_)----)_)
White Jeep club member #40
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #7
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here's the one I was referring to. It was actually started by someone else, but all the pics are gone. Hopefully he'll chime in.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...light=tailgate

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
MotoXguy888
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know it's a little pricey for budget guys like me, but Swagoffroad.com offers two kits for the YJ, one that uses your tailgate with modified latches, cables, and hinges for around 200.00 and another that is just hinges, latch, and cable and you use a CJ tailgate with it. The supposedly hold up to 400lbs which is pretty impressive. I'm thinking about investing in the CJ gate kit for my YJ because I like the old skool JEEP badge on the CJ, just have to find one!
MotoXguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Really? Anyone use the search function ever? Everything on this page has been done before. Including using the stock YJ tailgate (including the factory latch and locks) but made it swing down like the CJ style. Sure it doesnt have the "style" but its going to be covered up by the tire on the swing out carrier that broke the original tailgate anyways so its going to go unseen most of the time. And the drop down tailgate can be done for well under $200, I have a cousin that bought everything he needed and he did it for under $50. I think he used a piece of angle steel to reinforce below the gate, bought a heavy duty set of hinges and then used bolts to hold it all together as well as hold 2 straps to support the gate its self. It's all out there, been done, and usually well covered on how to do.
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hello 2005.
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
Really? Anyone use the search function ever? Everything on this page has been done before. Including using the stock YJ tailgate (including the factory latch and locks) but made it swing down like the CJ style. Sure it doesnt have the "style" but its going to be covered up by the tire on the swing out carrier that broke the original tailgate anyways so its going to go unseen most of the time. And the drop down tailgate can be done for well under $200, I have a cousin that bought everything he needed and he did it for under $50. I think he used a piece of angle steel to reinforce below the gate, bought a heavy duty set of hinges and then used bolts to hold it all together as well as hold 2 straps to support the gate its self. It's all out there, been done, and usually well covered on how to do.
What he said...Check http://swagoffroad.com/

I looked at his kits and then made my own set up..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the swag offroad hinge kit to convert my swing out to a fold down tailgate because it was local to me and it is awesome! I am very pleased with it.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

jeeperdon did a nice conversion a little while back. I dodn't know if there was a build thread or not. I inquired thru a PM and he kindly responded with the data. Try shooting him a PM or check the archives for his input. Don, your phone's ringing!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
Hello 2005.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...build-1151311/

Post #32

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.