CJ steering column in YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ steering column in YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
johndoe31533
BlackSheep

1992 YJ Wrangler 

CJ steering column in YJ

I've seen all the threads about a YJ column in a CJ but what about the other way around? My YJ PO completely stripped the wiring out for a JEGS universal wiring harness when they did a 350V8 swap. I'd like to use a dirt simple column in it since the ignition, lights and wipers are on a dash mounted panel. I would like the blinkers and maybe ignition on the column. From what I've seen the CJ mounting tabs under the dash are the same but I'm not sure. What about where it passes through the body and connects to the steering box? It currently has a universal turn signal switch strapped to the column and it sucks. Looks like it belongs on a kids toy. Anybody know of a decent switch out there if I can't get the column switch to work? Any ideas? Thanks.

johndoe31533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is the CJ steering column your thinking of collapsible? I'd not want a spear through my chest in a collision...
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
johndoe31533
BlackSheep

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I thought all CJ columns were collapsible. I was thinking one from the 80's would be safe.
johndoe31533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

cj columns are chevy columns so hit the junk yard and find whichever one you like the most.

i have a 76 cj5 and its column is as simple as you can find. only has a turn stalk and key switch on it. i haven't checked how it mounts but its the most basic column i have ever seen

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.