CJ hood and grille on YJ Wrangler - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ hood and grille on YJ Wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #31
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. That makes sense. I've always run soft tops on my YJ. I'll switch to an early CJ7 hard top this winter, but I've got to get off my butt and paint. Thanks for the information!

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

they look great but is'nt having a yj all about the rectanguler head lights
430552_2616710265594_56782775_n.jpg  
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
they look great but is'nt having a yj all about the rectanguler head lights
I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I prefer the beefier frame, wider set springs, and fuel injection of a YJ yet still prefer the aesthetics of a CJ. I don't have a problem with square headlights (I drove mine that way for about ten years), I just prefer the CJ front clip.

Think of it this way ...Imagine you're voting whether Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Alba is more attractive (or which one you'd rather take home). They're both very attractive, but most everybody could easily say which they'd prefer. Nobody is saying that they have a horrible problem with the other, but hey ...if you've got the choice, why not? For me, Kate Beckinsale = CJ front clip.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I agree. I don't mind the square look, just thought it would be a fun project. The YJ does have a lot of advantages over a CJ. This is my 3rd YJ and my 4th CJ, so numbers might say I prefer CJs

I was contemplating a vanity plate. Maybe "ROUNDED" or "YJ2CJ" or something similar but I think I'd need to do the tailgate and fenders to earn it. Maybe even the dash!
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #35
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
I was contemplating a vanity plate. Maybe "ROUNDED" or "YJ2CJ" or something similar but I think I'd need to do the tailgate and fenders to earn it. Maybe even the dash!
I'm with you. My CJ tail gate will go on if I ever finish my fuel tank skid (gotta pull the tank to reinforce the hinge area) and my CJ dash will go in when I do the engine swap (if I have to buy new gauges, I'm only doing it once).
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #36
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is what I've done...

I grafted a cj grill and a yj grill together.
lavern23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Finally finished up the project by painting the doors this weekend. Spent the last couple of weekends welding the cracks and reinforcing with angle iron then filling, sanding and applying primer. All new seals and weather stripping as well as interior door panels makes it look good as new. Maybe now I can get back to my CJ restoration
weld.jpg

yj.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks terrific GFox! I definitely want to do the hard top someday. So much quieter, and more comfortable in the winter.

I ended up putting an M38A1 grille, late 70's CJ7 Renegade hood, and new CJ fenders on my YJ. At some point I plan to paint the whole thing khaki like the hood and fenders.

I don't want to hijack, there are more pics in my build thread if interested.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...lowly-1151944/

Great work GFox

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
GFox
1985 CJ7 

ldso, I see you have the notch in your hood as well. Mine's from a '76. I'd like to do the fenders but the setup I have now makes it more unique. It has turned a few heads. I love the hard top. Out of 7 Jeeps I've owned, two others were hard tops and I traded them off for soft tops. This is the only one where I did the opposite! It is a nice change to have a nice quiet ride and I love being able to roll down the windows! Was thinking on making a gadget to roll make rolling up/down the passenger side while driving a little easier. Oh, now thats just crazy!
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #40
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Let me just say I LOVE Jeeps. I miss every one I've ever owned and each one has been such a different experience. What I like about my current YJ is the fact it is in such great shape.NO RUST!!! I need to take steps now to prevent future problems. Things I didn't do on previous Jeeps. I also love the fact that on first look it appears stock. Just the right amount of lift and tire size (31's) for a daily driver and the stock wheels keep them tucked in to prevent mud and water from spraying everywhere. I've yet to do any wheelin' in this Jeep though I'm sure it'll see some action soon. Nothing major as it's just too nice to tear up and I still need it to be a dependable daily driver (that said, I took some pretty big risks with my '95, but always seemed to make it to work on Monday

I love the fact that anyone can make any Jeep fit their wants, needs and personalities with all levels and types of mods. I love how the Jeep community holds together and how passionate people are about their Jeeps. I love that we wave to each other, not stare down at each other like owners of other cars (Mustangs, Beemers, etc). It's a culture, we live it every day and embrace it every day. Others look on, inquisitive and jealous and wanting. I've felt it during those times I wasn't driving a Jeep and I hated every minute of it. They don't understand the passion, the pride, the love of the outdoors, the challenge, the blood, sweat and tears, the empty wallets, the excuses we make as to why we can't be somewhere because we have to paint our fenders or replace a slave cylinder. They don't understand why we didn't have cash for the Sabbath concert because we spent our money on new door panels. They'll never know the feeling of having your girlfriend sneak over and place a card, flower and and awesome CD on your seat because you can't lock the damn doors and even if you could, why would you? It's a Jeep thing, they'll never understand. And it's too bad for them!

More of my Jeep activities at http://feedthejeep.blogspot.com
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #41
jeeper95creeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Love how it turned out.I'm thinking about doing it to my 92.would using cj fenders make the swap alittle easier?I have a hood and fenders off a 76 cj and all I need is the grille.
jeeper95creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #42
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper95creeper View Post
Love how it turned out.I'm thinking about doing it to my 92.would using cj fenders make the swap alittle easier?I have a hood and fenders off a 76 cj and all I need is the grille.
Yep. With a complete CJ front clip everything bolts up except for the grill mount (it's too far forward) and it'll require a little notching on the inside of the grill.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Using the YJ fenders is easier only in that you don't have to unbold fenders and bolt new ones on. With CJ fenders you do have to cut the inner fender to fit around shock towers. With YJ fenders, you do have to patch holes which are no longer used. Probably about the same amount of work either way, so it boils down to how much money you want to spend and the look you want to achieve.
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
With CJ fenders you do have to cut the inner fender to fit around shock towers.
I completely forgot about notching for the shock towers (and part of the frame IIRC).
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #45
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Notching wouldn't be tough, I don't think. Making the cuts look factory might be a little time consuming though. If you were really dedicated you could roll the edges and really make it look good. But why bother, it's a Jeep! It would be cool if someone who had already done this had a template available for download. But then again it would vary depending on whether or not the Jeep was lifted and what size lift.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.