CJ hood and grille on YJ Wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ hood and grille on YJ Wrangler

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Firefyter-Emt, I don't mind posting them. While there are lots of how-tos on this, there aren't a ton of good clear pics of finished projects to really get an ideas of what it looks like complete and painted. JP magazine's current issue has a really nice one on the cover which is what pushed me over the edge to do the conversion.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

GFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You know... it kinda has a bit of a "Roverish" look with the squared off fenders. I did not think they would look right with the fenders left original, but you know... it's really not half bad at all!

When I did my 91 years ago, I did the full CJ clip and all 4 flares. However, the CJ flares really take a good inch or wheel clearance off the stock YJ height. Plus, I want to keep the side flares because they really keep the tire kick up down big time! Plus, the CJ fenders are very bad for rust where that back cover patch panel is welded over the fender. They like to bubble and distort! That was one of the reasons for keeping the YJ fenders, but I thought that I would have to cut the length down. But now, I may just give it a go like this after seeing it!

Here are some photos of my last Jeep that I did the conversion on with the CJ components. I did all the work myself right down to the paint job done in my garage (former auto painter) I loved this Jeep and had it for 10 years before it fell apart. The new Rio Grande is a nice solid starting point, but I really miss the CJ nose! The funny thing will be towards the rear, I have the TJ filler, plate bracket, and being a late production 95, I have the TJ gate hinges! (and the TJ hood bumpers... I "might" put them on the CJ hood though!)

I love the last shots taken at a Jeep Rally... THAT is the way Jeepin' is meant to be!
progress-1.jpg  
progress-17.jpg

combo-jeep.jpg

rally-05.jpg

staging.jpg

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I thought the same thing about the "Rover" look, especially with the soft top with the side windows out. I like it, very different. Thanks for posting the pics.
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I switched over to a hard top and full steel doors. Found a guy on CL who wanted a soft top so we traded even. Got the doors sanded down and readt for primer but I've got to fix and reinforce the usual door cracks. I think it looks much more CJ like with the hard top- more curvaceous. I'd love to put on a set of aftermarket wheels and lose the JY rims but don't want to spend the money. All my paycheck right now are going into the CJ restoration.
photo.jpg

Unread 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
I switched over to a hard top and full steel doors. Found a guy on CL who wanted a soft top so we traded even.

ive had my top and doors on CL For Weeks now to do a trade and all i keep getting is dumb a$$es call me asking if it will fit their tj's

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have to replace a fender on my YJ, This thread is making me consider Just swapping the entire front clip
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have to replace a fender on my YJ, making me consider Just swapping the entire front clip
LOL YKYDAYJ when ^^^^^^

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All these Jeeps look great. When I started my rebuild, my YJ front clip was perfect. These were the only body parts that didn't need work, but I'd decided that I wanted tube fenders. I couldn't make myself cut up a perfect set of YJ fenders just to use the inners. At the time, I couldn't find a set of decently priced beaters, but I ended up finding an entire CJ front clip for less than the cost of one decent YJ fender. Granted, the CJ fenders were horrid, but the inners were fine and the grill and hood were workable.

The following is a handful of progress pics.

My youngest posing.... Please note the amount of rust in the outer skin of the fender ...and this was the good side.
jeep-crop-3.jpg

A bit further along. I ran it this way for one winter to shake out problems before I tore it back down to paint and polish.
jeep-crop-2.jpg

This is how it is now, but there's still a long way to go.
jeep-crop-1.jpg

I had a lot of reservations about going to round headlights. My only regret now is that I didn't do it sooner.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #24
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow Grant I dont know why I haven't seen the finished product of your jeep until today. Looks killer bro! Love the low stance and tube fenders I cant wait to get mine all one color again.
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Wow Grant I dont know why I haven't seen the finished product of your jeep until today. Looks killer bro! Love the low stance and tube fenders I cant wait to get mine all one color again.
Thanks skyj! I'm actually reading your build thread now. I'm not sure how I missed it before. We've got very, very similar builds going. I've got a couple of sets of Waggoneer springs sitting in the shop waiting until I'm a bit further along. I notice that you're running a Belleview. Do you have any problems spooling it out?
You haven't seen my Jeep because I haven't posted many shots of it for quite a while (I've still got to paint the tailgates (I'll be running a YJ gate until I'm get ready to do a few other mods, then I'll be putting on a CJ gate), a set of half doors, a set of fiberglass full doors, and my very old but new to me hardtop. Even then I'm well away from being done. I keep intending to start a build thread, but I just haven't taken time yet.
There's a ton of stuff that I have most or all the parts to install, but I'm waiting on another section so that I don't have to duplicate efforts or waste cash ...then there's all the stuff that I haven't come to a final decision on yet ...and finally, all the stuff that I'm going to have to wait until my hobby funds recover from "insert last mod here". It's all good though.
I do love the CJ front though and I was able to fund a good portion of the project from the profits gained selling the YJ front clip sheetmetal.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Looks awesome, Grant! Killer stance. Are those 32's? My CJ project has taken all my time so I haven't gotten around to fixing and painting my doors yet.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks awesome, Grant! Killer stance. Are those 32's? My CJ project has taken all my time so I haven't gotten around to fixing and painting my doors yet.
Thanks GFox! Nope, they're 33X12.50X15 Hankook DynaPro MTs on Centerline Hellcats in the last two pictures and 31X11.50X15 Kumho MTs on the ugliest set of American Eagle wheels ever made in the first picture. The Hankooks are OK, but I liked the tread pattern better on the Kumhos. With a set of Wagoneer springs front and rear, I could maintain the stance and upward flex that I have now with a set of 37s. Just haven't decided whether I want to go quite that big ...more to the point, I don't know if I want to do everything necessary to handle 37s.
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
GFox
1985 CJ7 

LOL, I was summing the difference with your tires! I didn't realize they were two different sets. No wonder I was confused. I thought about doing the tailgate swap cuz I love the CJ tailgate. Problem is now I've got the YJ hardtop so I'd have to switch it as well. Oh well, I'll leave it as it is. It just keeps me motivate to finsih the CJ. That is a great pic you posted though. I need to do something like that. You kinda got me wanting some tube fenders!
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL, I was summing the difference with your tires! I didn't realize they were two different sets. No wonder I was confused. I thought about doing the tailgate swap cuz I love the CJ tailgate. Problem is now I've got the YJ hardtop so I'd have to switch it as well. Oh well, I'll leave it as it is. It just keeps me motivate to finsih the CJ. That is a great pic you posted though. I need to do something like that. You kinda got me wanting some tube fenders!
Why would a YJ hardtop be a problem with a CJ tail gate?
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
GFox
1985 CJ7 

The YJ tailgate is what keeps the rear window in the down position. So the CJ tailgate gets held closed by the catches on the inside so you would be able to flip those once the window was held down by the tailgate being closed against it. At least I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.