JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   CJ Hardtop on YJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/cj-hardtop-yj-1578137/)

CBinDC 09-12-2013 06:12 AM

CJ Hardtop on YJ

There's a guy near me that's selling a CJ Hard top that's currently sitting on his '79 CJ. I took a look at it yesterday and it does look a bit different than a YJ top, appears a little longer in the rear where the window is. I could be wrong though. I didnt take any measurements.

Would this fit on an '89 YJ? I looked at the front where it meets the window. It definitely attaches differently there. I would have to put some latches on there to attach to my YJ.

Also, it needs some repairs to the fiberglass. A YJ hardtop is made of SMC fiberglass. Are CJ tops also SMC?

Thanks.

superj 09-12-2013 07:10 AM

some cj tops go outside of the tailgate and some sit just like a yj top (tailgate closes on lift gate and helps hold closed) a cj top has a handle to undo the latches so if it has no twist handle, its not a cj top.

his is a cj7? a cj5 top is a no-go

CBinDC 09-12-2013 07:25 AM

Yeah he has a CJ7 and the top has a twist handle.

superj 09-12-2013 10:21 AM

and some yj ones have a handle too, the early ones. mine is like that but i am trying to find a cj7 hardtop because i switched to a cj7 tailgate so if i close the tailgate, i cannot close the lid on the top and if i close the top, i have to crawl through and flip the tailgate latches

Tom95YJ 09-12-2013 01:07 PM

IIRC the 87-90 YJ's had the CJ style lift gate on The hardtop my 89 has the factory top with the Handle.

rage4order 09-15-2013 09:38 AM

Not sure if you already bought your top but this thread might answer a few more questions- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...doors-1543803/

CarolinaYJ 09-15-2013 03:56 PM

I'd like to ask a similar question. I bought a top from a guy who said he had a CJ7 top. But once I got it home and tried to put it on, there's a curve in the front edge of the top where it connects to the windshield. My YJ's windshield is flat (sort of...PO had hood smash the top of the windshield while driving). The body fits the YJ, but it's doesn't sit down completely on the body because the downward curves keep the top from seating completely. The very front of the top seem to reach out another 3/4" beyond the windshield area. The mounting screw holes in the top line up on the body section, and the holes for the for screws on windshield and roof all are parallel. The top is fiberglass and the lift gate is a badly rotted metal.
The back lift gate requires a fun little procedure of negotiating lift gate and swinging back gate. The lift gate sits outside back gate, but because of my spare, I can't open the lift gate except an couple inches. Just enough to let the back gate swing out wide, then it allows the lift gate to clear the tire and open.
I'm wondering what I really bought. Is this something that should fit my YJ? Is it my windshield? Not a CJ7? Or is there something else I'm not seeing?
Currently I've bolted the top down along 4 holes in the top. It drives OK, but the wind blows through the gap up front, and makes lots of creaking and snapping sounds as I drive.
Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

CBinDC 09-15-2013 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaYJ
I'd like to ask a similar question. I bought a top from a guy who said he had a CJ7 top. But once I got it home and tried to put it on, there's a curve in the front edge of the top where it connects to the windshield. My YJ's windshield is flat (sort of...PO had hood smash the top of the windshield while driving). The body fits the YJ, but it's doesn't sit down completely on the body because the downward curves keep the top from seating completely. The very front of the top seem to reach out another 3/4" beyond the windshield area. The mounting screw holes in the top line up on the body section, and the holes for the for screws on windshield and roof all are parallel. The top is fiberglass and the lift gate is a badly rotted metal.
The back lift gate requires a fun little procedure of negotiating lift gate and swinging back gate. The lift gate sits outside back gate, but because of my spare, I can't open the lift gate except an couple inches. Just enough to let the back gate swing out wide, then it allows the lift gate to clear the tire and open.
I'm wondering what I really bought. Is this something that should fit my YJ? It is my windshield? Not a CJ7? Or is there something else I'm not seeing?
Currently I've bolted the top down along 4 holes in the top. It drives OK, but the wind blows through the gap up front, and makes lots of creaking and snapping sounds as I drive.
Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

That's very interesting that you mention a curve in the front of the top. I noticed that with the top I looked at. I ended up passing on it for many reasons.

I don't know if you can see it here but I found it quite noticeable. I thinks it's the age of the fiberglass that makes it curve like this. Why would the top be designed to have that curve. That would be stupid.

Attachment 679841

CBinDC 09-15-2013 06:02 PM

CarolinaYJ, did you put weather stripping on the jeep, under the top? Some weather stripping up front may help your wind problems.

superj 09-15-2013 07:39 PM

That lip goes on the front of the windshield, not on top like in the pic above. The lip should be right above the glass's gasket

CBinDC 09-15-2013 07:51 PM

True about the way the top should be positioned. I just took a pic of the front of it due to the curve I observed. And Im sharing the pic to confirm what CarolinaYJ was asking about.

The owner of the top just had it propped up on his jeep. He wasn't using it but his condo complex had been sending him complaints about leaving the top on the sidewalk.

superj 09-16-2013 07:12 AM

my factory top has that curve too. it fits fine and tapers to the edges.

that sucks about not being able to put the top where he wants. it would suck to have to pull it on and off each time you drove the jeep just because somebody is complaining about it being on the sidewalk

CBinDC 09-16-2013 07:46 AM

Typical condo codes. That's why I own a house with a 2 car garage. Nobodies telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to own an older Jeep, that needs upkeep and attention, in a home setting like that. There's a rule or code for ever little thing.

rage4order 09-16-2013 09:32 AM

I never had any problem with that "curve". As was said already, that part actually sits over and to the front of the windshield frame a bit. You may have to loosen the roll bar and windshield and move the windshield towards the rear just a bit for it to fall into place.

CarolinaYJ 09-16-2013 10:00 AM

CBinDC - The picture you have is the exactly what I've got. The lower lip that extends (part of the door jamb) sits terribly close to the small flange which connects to the soft top.
I bought some weatherstripping and am planning on filing the gap. That should stop the wind and the noise...some. I just haven't done it yet in case I hear that the top is the wrong top and I should cut my losses and sell it. I picked it up for $120, so thought I got a good deal. Side glass is intact and after a thorough cleaning and painting the exterior I like how it looks, just not how it fits.
I've noticed there are two channels in the front edge of the top, the windshield looks like it "could/should" fit in the second channel. I'll have to work on that. I've bought a used hoist that will allow me to play with lowering the front first, then the back. We'll have to see how it all plays out.
Unfortunately the 2 part soft doors I bought are a mismatch with the top. They extend a little bit past the top's door jamb on the upper part of the door, and leave an inch gap between the top of the door and the top's lower edge. But they'll keep out most of the wind and the rain until I can find the right doors at the right price.
Thanks for all the info everyone.

The time now is 08:30 PM.