cj hard top vs yj hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cj hard top vs yj hard top

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cj hard top vs yj hard top

Maybe some of the seasoned jeep guys in the forum can help me out. My yj has a cj hard top. Aside from a small break under the rear ds window its in great shape. But its a bit drafty, and my full doors dont seem to match up very well. No rear defrost is a bit of a pain but I can live with that. I put new door gaskets on, but I still get a whistle and a draft i didnt used to have on my 94. I have a few ads on cl trying to find someone willing to swap but I thought I would ask before going through the hassle of cl and all its bs if it will fit better. Am I looking at apples and apples, or apples and oranges? I added some extra weather stripping to the door frame, and it helps a bit with the whistle and draft but not a whole lot. Let me know. Thanks!

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
stevenbaty2003
1977 CJ7 

i dont know the difference between the yj and cj top exact but i can tell u tey have the same tub and i can tellu for a fact my cj whistles and does all sorts of fun stuff and the doors never line up right part has to do with the wy u store it try to keep it in its orginal shape by hanging it up the other is the installer get urbuddy to crawl on top and sit on the spot ur are tightening up and move around till u have the best fit possible. it a nature of the beast effect all cj and yj are pretty much sol if u want a quite ride
stevenbaty2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

going for the quiet ride, and a bit warmer. altho its technically spring, im still seeing temps in the 20s at night. its my on and off dd. i have an 03 gc as well and i can always use that when its really cold, but its no comparison to my yj. i always like the head turns when especially since i just dropped almost 1k on tires. to anyone running 33s, red letter general grabbers are the way to go. i had x terrains on it, and you could hear me coming a mile away. these 33 are nice. quiet, good tread. so i guess my posts on cl are fruitless? i wont gain anything by swapping tops? well, except a rear windshield wiper and def. i did plan on doing some work to my top. the rear window gaskets leak, all around even on the hatch. re doing them, also either carpeting it or using something else. i was looking to quiet my ride a bit. did some looking and was going to use sound proofing. i happened to be wandering around walmart with my wife the other day, and i found some black mat kitchen sink mats. they are like a wrestling mat only not as thick. $10 a piece. On the off chance I bought two, and since i had to plug the holes in my ds and ps floor pans and let the carpet dry i put them in under. they reach all the way under the seats, a few cuts with a razor knife and they fit perfect. i put them in, added the carpet, and the sound change inside is beyond noticeable. quieter, warmer, it even seems like a smoother ride. $20, and it did that. well worth it. im thinking about doing the entire tub, and using the same stuff on the top. ive heard about carpeting the top with good results, I am sure this stuff is the way to go with the top also. just have to find solid pieces, not door mat size. but thanks for the info. i figured i would ask. i just dont remember all that noise with my other yj, but it has been a few years. guess its just a jeep.
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
stevenbaty2003
1977 CJ7 

It's an old jeep thing the new ones come with headliners that have insulation in them quite and warmer I'd look for a foam mat (yoga??) to super glue in the roof and line the whole floorboArd with ur mat stuff then get some muffler thermal barrier stuff that goes under the jeep that ll cut noise from road down and then if u want to get crazy cover the fire wall with that stuff
stevenbaty2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good. i was amazed at the difference with just those two mats up front. i would say its about 40-50% quieter in the cab. i am definitely going to do the rest of the tub. and do the hard top. my schedule is kinda sweet, i work 14, im off 14. so my next time off im going to tackle the hard top. redo the gaskets, reseal the window gaskets and put the mat on. i saw where a guy carpeted his hard top, but he just did the very top. i was looking at doing the sides as well. carpet or the mat, not sure. carpet would be cheaper they sell the mats at lowes in a 4x10 roll for $104. i would need 2 to do the rest of the tub and the top. and some indoor outdoor carpet would probably cost me 30-40. decisions decisions.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is what's called top corner gaskets, these are usually left out when the top is put back on! They can cause it to whistle! I resealed my top and put all new gaskets, mas backed carpet. Mine is pretty quiet for a jeep I never take my top off anymore, I may remove the doors and ride, but I have a wonderful air condition for the summer
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a hard top on my 84' CJ7. It did not leak air or whistle. It sealed very well and was warm. I lived in the mountains of Colorado at the time. I also had a hard top on my original YJ in Colorado. It sealed equally well.

But, my CJ top was meant for a CJ and the YJ top was the factory top as well.

I have read on this forum that sometimes you have to adjust the windshield angle when changing styles of tops and doors.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.