CJ Half Doors w/ Soft Uppers Fit on Hard Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ Half Doors w/ Soft Uppers Fit on Hard Top

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

CJ Half Doors w/ Soft Uppers Fit on Hard Top

Before anyone says "try searching", I did. The search function is pretty much shot because of all the threads that are made on one subject (I'm aware that I am helping to break the system too).

In anycase, I bought some hard half doors with soft uppers that have the squared corners that obviously don't work with my hard top. Is there anyway to fab the uppers up so that I can use them? I live in Alaska and it's common to have random rain storms through out the summer and I prefer to avoid sitting in a puddle.

Thanks for any help on this issue, worst case senario (sp) I can use some para cord to hold the doors shut while at work. Thanks again and sorry for making a new thread on a tired subject.

Unread 04-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have no personal experience but most comments lean towards pulling the trigger on some round corners to work with the hard top. The only other thing you could do is buy a trail cover that fits over the hard top but this would only be a solution for when you aren't going down the road.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

True. Also, just occured to me is that during the summer I run a bikini top top so the uppers will fit. I just havent gotten to the 'top off' mindset yet due to the fact it's mid 40s on a good day and low 20s at night and being that I work 2300-0730 It's a no go on topless or bikini top.

I have full steel doors that came with the Jeep, I just like my new doors and want to run them. All in all I the answer came to me just after I posted this thread. Guess that's how it goes some times.

Thanks for the input Doc, I do like those covers too.
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmnWatkins View Post
Before anyone says "try searching", I did. The search function is pretty much shot because of all the threads that are made on one subject (I'm aware that I am helping to break the system too).

In anycase, I bought some hard half doors with soft uppers that have the squared corners that obviously don't work with my hard top. Is there anyway to fab the uppers up so that I can use them? I live in Alaska and it's common to have random rain storms through out the summer and I prefer to avoid sitting in a puddle.

Thanks for any help on this issue, worst case senario (sp) I can use some para cord to hold the doors shut while at work. Thanks again and sorry for making a new thread on a tired subject.
Especially for those of us that can't afford to buy a membership it's tough using the search function because we are locked out of advanced search. I've have sorted through what seems like hundreds of threads over the past couple of weeks looking for stuff. I wish they would let everyone use the advanced function, it would cut down on new threads I think
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Some people still jump straight to new threads, but I agree it should cut down a bit. I just get tired of seaching through ten pages and not being able to find anything helpful. Your best bet is to head to the FAQ section, it's my first stop.

I held out on a membership for awhile but after all the help I've gotten of this forum I figuerd it was well worth the fee even if I didn't get any extra benifits. It's been an invaluble assest.
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
Especially for those of us that can't afford to buy a membership it's tough using the search function because we are locked out of advanced search. I've have sorted through what seems like hundreds of threads over the past couple of weeks looking for stuff. I wish they would let everyone use the advanced function, it would cut down on new threads I think

Have you tried using google to search the site?? That's how I do most of my searching, and it seems to work fairly well.

Just go to google, and type in whatever you want to search for, just like normal. Then, type "site:www.jeepforum.com" (without the quote's) after your search terms. You're basically telling google that you only want to search one site.

for example, if I type this into the google search,
"soft upper doors for YJ with hardtop site:www.jeepforum.com"

here are the results that come up,
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...8b255204805e8f

And, if you want to narrow it even more, you can search only specific area's of the site. If I wanted to only search the YJ tech section, for example, I would put this into the google search bar, "soft upper doors for YJ with hardtop site:www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12"

Oh, this works for other sites as well. Simply put the name of whatever site you want to search, and you'll get results from only that site.
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey there, fellow Alaskan! I would suggest modifying some TJ uppers ( lots of write-ups on this forum) to work with your hard top. If you have a factory hard top you won't be able to find uppers (even with rounded corners) that fit...believe me, I tried for a year before I finally traded my half doors for some full doors. Good luck!
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried driving using the soft uppers?

I saw a guy driving a YJ down the road with the sliding glass soft top uppers yesterday. I have the same ones and was surprised to see them used with a hard top. I am not sure how water tight it would be, but it will keep some of the rain off and the wind down.
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineohsevenYJ View Post
Hey there, fellow Alaskan! I would suggest modifying some TJ uppers ( lots of write-ups on this forum) to work with your hard top. If you have a factory hard top you won't be able to find uppers (even with rounded corners) that fit...believe me, I tried for a year before I finally traded my half doors for some full doors. Good luck!
Hey, how you doing up there in Wasilla? I read up on the TJ uppers a bit but want to work with what I have on hand already. Just bought the doors on Monday with the uppers. I think with the bikkini top they'll work out, and it's mostly just for when I'm at work and it starts raining and I can't run out with a trash bag to cover my seat. I don't plan on using them much, just wanted the lowers to keep things a bit more secure driving down the Glenn and what not.

You do a lot of wheeling up there? I haven't done much at all yet other than Jims, I just lifted my YJ in early January so there hasn't been any real opportunity to head out. Let me know if you plan on going out, we can swap numbers and get a trip together. I have a few buddies here on base that are looking forward to some trips out and I'm on militaryjeepers that put together some runs during the summer. Just shoot me a PM and we can try and figure something out.
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbkrguy View Post
Have you tried driving using the soft uppers?

I saw a guy driving a YJ down the road with the sliding glass soft top uppers yesterday. I have the same ones and was surprised to see them used with a hard top. I am not sure how water tight it would be, but it will keep some of the rain off and the wind down.
Not yet, when I bought them I threw em on and saw the different corners and threw uppers in the back with my full doors. Didn't want to break them just after paying for them. Judging by how off they were I didn't seem like it would be possible. I thought about cutting the frame and bending them to be rounded and tack the frame, then have the wife sew the fabric around the corners. Just wanted to see if anyone has delt with this at all before I go cutting things apart.
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am a little more care free, but because I see them bend out when I close the doors with my soft top I wouldn't be scared to try it at least once. the metal frames on the uppers is pretty tough and flexable. I think it would be fine.
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll give it a shot, maybe it will work. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't gone out wheeling yet, been trying to get all the kinks worked out first. I'm down to go out this summer & have a buddy that knows some pretty good spots. Definitely PM me when you guys decide to set something up, I'd really like to go.

I think you're on the right track with wanting to tweak the frame to make it work for you, if nothing else it would at least help keep some rain out. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.