CJ Grill on a YJ (write up, lots of pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ Grill on a YJ (write up, lots of pics)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for that info. my steering box is about to be eliminated or at the very least moved so i'm not worried about that... and if my fenders still bolt up to the cj grill then i could tweak the fenders pretty easy with the ol' grinder and welder

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
360wrangler

great write up i just got a hood and grill ( with lights and trim) for $30

future project
hood grill home made tube fenders

[URL="http://www.fullcircle4x4.com/"]full circle 4x4 610-970-9977[/URL]
360wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

im doing this project too, i have a CJ7 hood and grill but i am going to use a CJ5 grill i have cuz its in a little better shape. im gonna leave my YJ fenders for now becuase i want to go with flatties eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
ZIMSJEEP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow...nice job man and great write up. I might tackle something like this down the road
3.5" Fabtech lift, 5/8" MORE Boomerang Shackles, Brown Dog Motor Mounts, 33x12.5 Mikey Thompson Baja Claws, MT 15x8 Classic II Alloys, JKS swaybar disco's, Rancho RS 5000 stablizer, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks, Warn Bumper w/ pre runner, On board air, Grant Wheel, PIAA Windshield mounted lights, Herculined Interior
ZIMSJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #20
brcfan0142

SWEET! that is just sweet looking, great job!
brcfan0142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #21
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

pics of your guys yj fenders and cj grills would be cool
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
pics of your guys yj fenders and cj grills would be cool
ill make sure to take pics and ill try to do a little write up when i do mine, ill be leaving my yj fenders alone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
hip2Bsquare
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
My two cents. There is more to a CJ than the hood and grill. The YJ rear wheel shape just looks wrong with the CJ clip. Then there is the old school dash. Putting a full CJ tub and front cluip on a YJ could be nice.
If he wanted a CJ he would have bought one....not saying anything bad about the CJ. A CJ clip gets people those majical round headlights.
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
jeepjunk

I did the CJ front clip exchange just because I really like the look of the CJ grille and the hood. I didn't do it to try to pass it off as a CJ. It is so ironic that everyone wants to modify their Jeeps with lifts and bigger tires, etc. and that's cool..... but alot of folks get jacked off if you dare put a CJ front on a YJ! It's called a modification. It's done to make the modifier appreciate and enjoy their Jeep more. It seems to me that it's taboo to mess with the "beloved rectangular headlights" to some of the same guys who love to mod their Jeep.
jeepjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #25
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a different take on getting round headlights:

http://www.smjc.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5046

I like it either way.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #26
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP
Here is a different take on getting round headlights:

http://www.smjc.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5046

I like it either way.

Yeah, that turned out real good. That option had crossed my mind but I ASSumed the large CJ headlights wouldn't fit without biting into the slots, looks like it worked out pretty well. I woulda done the square signals as well before paint.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #27
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of doing this swap and need a little help!

I currently have the CJ hood, fenders and grill all mounted up and looking perfect. At this point all I need to do is to get in a new radiator and my swap is finished.

Since, my YJ radiator is shot I want to change it out and I think it's a good time to do it. I'll be going with a CJ radiator since I won’t have to modify anything to get this to fit in. However, I have a bit of a problem.

It appears that the old YJ radiator has a transmission cooler in it and I have lines going in and out. From what I've read and so on, the CJ radiators don't have these coolers on them. What's the work around here?

Is the transmission cooler even needed, heck is it even a transmission cooler? I really didn’t trace down the line but the fluid was red telling me that it is.

Thank you,
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #28
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When bringing up an '86 CJ radiator from radiatorbarn.com it includes transmission cooler lines, I would get a CJ radiator with the built in cooler fittings.

It is a transmission cooler and yes you need one. If you get a radiator without one, they aren't very expensive ($50 or so) for a remote cooler but its less hassle just to get it integrated into the radiator.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

This thread has been added to the FAQ writeup section.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rusty.!

Quote:
When bringing up an '86 CJ radiator from radiatorbarn.com it includes transmission cooler lines, I would get a CJ radiator with the built in cooler fittings.

It is a transmission cooler and yes you need one. If you get a radiator without one, they aren't very expensive ($50 or so) for a remote cooler but its less hassle just to get it integrated into the radiator.
That's what I thought. I just ordered one from Radiator Barn for the CJ. They state that it has all the transmission lines on it, so we'll see!

Thank you all for your help as always!

R>
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.