cj front clip onto yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cj front clip onto yj

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cj front clip onto yj

hey im looking into swapping the cj front clip onto my yj any one done this what does it take to make this happen wouuld also like pics if yall have done this

Unread 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...s-pics-431224/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...clip-yj-31278/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...e-swap-136165/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...lights-294208/
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes there are some good threads on here if you search. I am doing it as well. I am keeping my YJ fenders. Issues .... there may be more than this...

1. CJ fenders have to be trimmed to fit around the shock tower. If you use YJ fenders then you will have holes to fill in where the hood latches were and where the YJ grill used to bolt to.
2. CJ grill has to be trimmed on the back to fit around power steering lines.
3. The radiator/grill middle body mount must be extended to line up with the frame.
4. A 1" body lift helps with the grill and fenders and hood all lining up. The CJ grill is like 1" taller than the YJ.
5. If you keep your YJ radiator then you must fabricate a way to attach it to the CJ grill. I am using a CJ radiator so it bolts to the grill no problems
6. My clutch fan ended up like 1/8" away from the radiator so I am using an electric fan so now I have wiring issues to control the fan.

Remember the JEEP DOMINO EFFECT...
...every mod you do requires several more

Here's how mine looks so far.

Unread 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I pretty much finished this a while ago. All the topics I saw helped but nothing helped more than getting the clip and just tearing my old one apart.

It honestly really is a "cut to fit" project. The inner part of the CJ fenders are bigger than the YJ ones so just cut them to match. I know a lot of guys use YJ fenders, I did not want to go this route.

I have a Daystar 1" body lift, the nice one that replaces your mounts. I wouldnt do this mod without it, way too many clearence issues.

I also have a 2.5 so radiator clearence really isnt an issue. Just make a new bracket with some angle iron or flat stock. I am also running a cherokee electric fan (it was laying around my garage) because I ditched the huge 2.5 fan shroud.

I will be painting it this spring. I will most likely not be running flares front or rear.

Goodluck.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a CJ grille with lights on Ebay right now for $75, it's been taunting me for weeks. Minana, minana.

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just started my swap.

This was yesterday.
JeffBurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This was today. Got a long way to go still. I need to install the radiator, fan shroud and power steering reservoir. I'm keeping the yj fenders for now. I may change later. I'm just gonna cut them up anyway! I don't know why my pics load this way...
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

heres the one i did.

its like any project if you throw it together its easy. if you want to do a nice job and make it look like it was factory it isnt. we kept everything stock like the airbox, reservoirs, etc. if you dont want to use a body lift you need to trim a bit more. you can see the notches in the lower corners of the grill. i welded in portions of pipe so it didnt just look like a cut. i rebuilt the center grill support so it was at the proper level. one thing people forget to mention is you need to convert the turn signal connectors as well. the headlights plugged in fine.

another thing to decide is if you are going to use true cj parts or aftermarket replicas. in this one we used a true cj grill. the fenders and hood were taking too long to source so those are knockoffs. you can tell the difference and its the only thing that bothers me about the conversion.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i'm going a little different route. i'm going to a military look. maybe i will eventually get the cj fenders.i just painted it last night so i will post some pics in a few.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
heres the one i did.

its like any project if you throw it together its easy. if you want to do a nice job and make it look like it was factory it isnt. we kept everything stock like the airbox, reservoirs, etc. if you dont want to use a body lift you need to trim a bit more. you can see the notches in the lower corners of the grill. i welded in portions of pipe so it didnt just look like a cut. i rebuilt the center grill support so it was at the proper level. one thing people forget to mention is you need to convert the turn signal connectors as well. the headlights plugged in fine.

another thing to decide is if you are going to use true cj parts or aftermarket replicas. in this one we used a true cj grill. the fenders and hood were taking too long to source so those are knockoffs. you can tell the difference and its the only thing that bothers me about the conversion.
I think its a beautiful conversion. I really dig the CJ front clip, something about it just screams classic.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

taped up and ready

Unread 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

and painted

Unread 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
JeffBurks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

painted

On to the wheels tomorrow.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

in the immortal words of Huey Lewis.....its hip to be square
jpfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.