CJ dash swap VSS problems. NEED HELP!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CJ dash swap VSS problems. NEED HELP!!

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ecu has adaptive memory that retains both faults and some readings from the sensors to use when you drive it the next time. A reset clears it.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha... Fingers crossed for when I try it next....
moku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moku View Post
What do you mean by "zeros the cal"?

It sounds like you have a good handle on how this works... Which is great!
He should.. he helped design it

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Say what??!!

That's way awesome!!

So I'll have this thing actually running correctly someday! NICE!
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not on the design but on the testing of it. Pin by pin. Circuit by circuit. Voltage current and rf immunity testing. Yes. I tested just about every aspect of the electronics of all the yj electrical.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After switching the wires and resetting the battery, I took the jeep for a test drive. Exited the highway to a stop and it died. Used throttle during next stops to keep it from dieing since I was in traffic.
what should I do next? Thanks again.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you still have the code 15?
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, I dont have a code 15. Didnt before either tho. Any ideas?
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the IAC

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I'll try cleaning it later this week.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the Jeep ran fine before I changed the VSS? Could having the two wires backwards initially have messed something up?
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I hate coincidence. If you still have the stock setup to put back in you can go back to it and see if it stalls. The symptoms indicate a bad VSS. You dont need the speedo to try it out. It would be the easiest way to prove it out.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
moku
1995 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE - So it's been a while since I messed with the Jeep. Before I tore into the IAC to clean it, I pulled the connector from the VSS and double-checked what I had done before. I noticed the pins inside the plug were recessed (from the open end) quite a bit and compared it to the distance the pins on the VSS are recessed. It looked as though if they even touched, that they barely did. When had I rewired the plug, I inserted the crimped pins inside the HESCO plug just far enough for them to click and lock (Like I had done with all the weatherpack connectors I used). So I pushed the pins further into the plug from the back, making them barely recessed into the plug when looking from the open end. I inserted the plastic lock/separator into the end and the pins stayed in the new position. I plugged it into the VSS and the thing works great! Apparently, the pins were making contact (since I never got the VSS code) but not enough to work correctly? That's a guess, but it works great now! Problem solved. Thank you to everyone for your help with this!! Now that I figured it out, it's a little embarrasing it was something so easy. So if anyone else is planning to use the HESCO plug, push the crimped pins as far as you can into the plug. They'll lock there..
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moku View Post
UPDATE - So it's been a while since I messed with the Jeep. Before I tore into the IAC to clean it, I pulled the connector from the VSS and double-checked what I had done before. I noticed the pins inside the plug were recessed (from the open end) quite a bit and compared it to the distance the pins on the VSS are recessed. It looked as though if they even touched, that they barely did. When had I rewired the plug, I inserted the crimped pins inside the HESCO plug just far enough for them to click and lock (Like I had done with all the weatherpack connectors I used). So I pushed the pins further into the plug from the back, making them barely recessed into the plug when looking from the open end. I inserted the plastic lock/separator into the end and the pins stayed in the new position. I plugged it into the VSS and the thing works great! Apparently, the pins were making contact (since I never got the VSS code) but not enough to work correctly? That's a guess, but it works great now! Problem solved. Thank you to everyone for your help with this!! Now that I figured it out, it's a little embarrasing it was something so easy. So if anyone else is planning to use the HESCO plug, push the crimped pins as far as you can into the plug. They'll lock there..
thanks for updating the thread and Im glad it was an easy fix.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.