Cig Lighter Not Functioning? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cig Lighter Not Functioning?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cig Lighter Not Functioning?

Okay my fellow jeepers. I've been slowly putting my jeep together to where it will satisfy my jeeping needs. I've came across my cigarette outlet. It is currently not working. Any suggestions to get it going? I'm going to try getting a new fuse on black friday due to thanksgiving. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a test light? Your first step is to find out if power is getting to the lighter...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I might possibly have it. I stay at the gf's and her dad usually helps me with all my jeep issues. I planned on asking him the day after thanksgiving since he works 2 jobs and hopefully can get this thing going so i could have a second heater running this winter.
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
ClarkRCC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

mine went out and it puzzled me because it was on the same fuze as the cruse control, which my jeep doesnt have
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping its just going to be like a fuse swap.. but my jeep problems are never simple :P ill just find me a cigarette receptacle just to be safe
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
ads
1995 YJ Wrangler 

check that the live connector to the back of the lighter is attached - its a push on connector that connects to a pin.
Mine has fallen off before - gave it a squeeze with some pliers last time I put it back on and it seems pretty secure now
1995 YJ - mostly stock at current. 31" Procomp AT, rebuilt stock springs with added leaf (2.5" lift), OME shocks & stabiliser, 20gal tank mod, air box de-restricted, afe wet filter, soundbar, new distributor/rotor & stuff, TBS.
ads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

why do you need a second heater? my heater will drive you out of the seat even with no back window and a soft top?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
reeves_yj_88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059
why do you need a second heater? my heater will drive you out of the seat even with no back window and a soft top?
My wife has a 95 yj that blows heat like the sun, I have an 88 yj that blows heat like the dark side of the moon...
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
DAVE4273
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I keep a fire extinguisher in the jeep during the winter and wear fire retardent socks....you know, just in case.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves_yj_88 View Post
My wife has a 95 yj that blows heat like the sun, I have an 88 yj that blows heat like the dark side of the moon...
then you need to fix your 88

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
reeves_yj_88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059

then you need to fix your 88
Couldn't agree more. Just bought it for $400 a week ago, running and driving. Other things require attention, but the heat is definitely on the list.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shoelessboi, is the key on? The cig lighter doesn't work on my 95 unless there is power to the lighter. Safety feature, I'm guessing, so it can't short out and cause a fire while you are away from your jeep.

Figured this out while trying to use my 12V floodlight while camping. Thought the dang light was broke until I turned the key on to move the jeep.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads View Post
check that the live connector to the back of the lighter is attached - its a push on connector that connects to a pin.
Mine has fallen off before - gave it a squeeze with some pliers last time I put it back on and it seems pretty secure now
this.

lol. I beat myself up so much because I couldnt figure it out. sure enough it wasnt "plugged in" haha

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lol i just messed with it a little bit and no luck.. Ill have to figure out how the receptacle comes off or i have to find a way to get under to see it all more. I seen the green/white wire that comes out of the back was still attached just didnt push on it or nothing to the receptacle yet.

And my heater works.. but the little heater i have that plugs in the cig lighter i use to use works waaaaaay better.
Unread 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed a 2 12v outlet up and its all better now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.