Chromo shaft install questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chromo shaft install questions

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Chromo shaft install questions

I'm just about ready to order some chromo shafts for my D30 and have a couple questions. I know when installing you need to install new seals which includes the ones in the diff. Aside from taking everything apart and doing the seals, is there anything else I need to do or is this a bolt on kinda job past that?

Also the sites I'm looking at say "you NEED a vacuum block off plate," but my vacuum motor is still there but sealed up with silicone. Are these guys just trying to make more money or is that a legitimate concern?

Here are the particular ones I'm 99% sure I'm getting
Nitro Chromoly Shafts - Front - Dana 30

Thanks

Last edited by Toms87; 05-16-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
4bangerYJ

That kit among others replaces the 2 piece axle on the pass side with a TJ/XJ style one piece. So the vacumme motor will not be used. So you will need a block off plate.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
That kit among others replaces the 2 piece axle on the pass side with a TJ/XJ style one piece. So the vacumme motor will not be used. So you will need a block off plate.
I know the vac motor isn't used, but I'm not using it now either. I just have the shift collar thing locked in place. So basically I'm already running a 1 piece shaft. With that in mind, is a plate still a necessity?
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

did you take out the shift fork? Remove that and it could be used as the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
did you take out the shift fork? Remove that and it could be used as the cover.
I believe the shift fork is still installed. I can't remember exactly because it was 2 years ago when it was done. Just take it out, keep the assembly sealed and it will work just as good as a plate?
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can remove the fork off the rod and then yes, just install it back as a plate and be done with that.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.