Chromo shaft install questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chromo shaft install questions

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Chromo shaft install questions

I'm just about ready to order some chromo shafts for my D30 and have a couple questions. I know when installing you need to install new seals which includes the ones in the diff. Aside from taking everything apart and doing the seals, is there anything else I need to do or is this a bolt on kinda job past that?

Also the sites I'm looking at say "you NEED a vacuum block off plate," but my vacuum motor is still there but sealed up with silicone. Are these guys just trying to make more money or is that a legitimate concern?

Here are the particular ones I'm 99% sure I'm getting
Nitro Chromoly Shafts - Front - Dana 30

Thanks

Last edited by Toms87; 05-16-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
4bangerYJ

That kit among others replaces the 2 piece axle on the pass side with a TJ/XJ style one piece. So the vacumme motor will not be used. So you will need a block off plate.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
That kit among others replaces the 2 piece axle on the pass side with a TJ/XJ style one piece. So the vacumme motor will not be used. So you will need a block off plate.
I know the vac motor isn't used, but I'm not using it now either. I just have the shift collar thing locked in place. So basically I'm already running a 1 piece shaft. With that in mind, is a plate still a necessity?
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

did you take out the shift fork? Remove that and it could be used as the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
did you take out the shift fork? Remove that and it could be used as the cover.
I believe the shift fork is still installed. I can't remember exactly because it was 2 years ago when it was done. Just take it out, keep the assembly sealed and it will work just as good as a plate?
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can remove the fork off the rod and then yes, just install it back as a plate and be done with that.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.