chirping noise in engine. 94 wrangler 4cyl HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chirping noise in engine. 94 wrangler 4cyl HELP!!!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
jpringles
1994 YJ Wrangler 

chirping noise in engine. 94 wrangler 4cyl HELP!!!

there is a chirping noise in the engine of my 94 jeep wrangler. i usually notice it after it warms up. my power steering pump is going out at well could that be the same problem?

jpringles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Chirping noises. Could be the same problem. I had to replace my idler pulley, that was the pulley that the fan belt rides on. The bearing used to chirp before it went bad. When it warms up, well, it could just be your fan belt is not tight enough.
DriveTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
jpringles
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well there is town different noises for that the regular chirping but the power steering noise is more of a wining. and when i turn the wheel it idles very low and sounds like it's going to die... so i dont really know if it is the same problem?
jpringles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The chirping could be the water pump too.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK Here is old fashion way of finding a noise and where it is. You can use a hose, wooden dowel or a long screw driver. Put one end of your listening device to your engine close to where you think the noise is coming from ( watch for moving parts). Listen on the other end. When you hear the noise louder at one point you have found your part or location of said sound. This takes out the guessing which part is bad. Saves you time and money.

Now yes the have a stethoscope that is made for doing the something. But I'm cheap if I have something in hand why buy something that will work.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
kalik99
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem and mine was the alternator pulley which was sitting slightly too far forward. You could try isolating the noise by individually spraying the pulleys with T9 untill it stops, when it does that is the pulley that is making the noise.
kalik99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.