chevy small block and tranny? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chevy small block and tranny?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
coyote_94yj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
Sorry for the hijack

Martin.

I just bought a new dodge 1 ton 4wd. Killer ride. Anyhow. It came with a factory "engine brake" I've always called them a jake brake. I don't know anything about them. I do know when I hit the button when stoping it is one rumbleing dude. How do they work? Will it make me use more fuel? I hear the turbo rev when I hit it. Is it hard on the turbo? I understand the basics that they save your brakes by using the engine I just don't understand how it works?????? Thanks for your thought!!

Todd
They are sometimes called a jake brake because of a popular brand of exhaust brake "Jacobs". They work by changing when the exhaust valve closes. Instead of the exhaust valve being open during the exhaust stroke it is closed causing compression and slowing the rotating mass inside the engine down inturn slowing the vehicle down. At the end of the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve is opened and the smashed air in the cylinder is released out the exhaust making the loud sound you are hearing. No fuel is injected during this process so...No you are not using more fuel you are actually not using any.

Call me crazy but I would LOVE to have a 5.9L with exhaust brakes in my YJ. It will be real tight and some frame and suspension work is a must but if I got my hands on one I'd be all over it. Don't know much about the size of your 6.7L but that would be insane. Probably not gonna fit.

My

Chris

coyote_94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
krausec
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks todd. Was kinda planning on goin with axles out of a toyota. I've seen them handle chevy power with 37 inch swampers, with little problem. But then again thats just what i've seen. I have a 350 tranny already (thanks for the suggestion though).
I also like the toyota axles cause of the smaller pumkin. Any thoughts?
krausec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ya...You don't want to hear it. Sell the toyota Axles. For the amount of work they are not worth it. As they are too narrow. Look for some dana 44's or 60's out of a 3/4 or 1 ton. Then you will have the Width to support one killer build. The 350/350 combo will be fun. Is your engine Fuel Injected or TBI or carbed? What T case do you plan on running? You should be able to sell the toyota axles pretty easy as a lot of suzuki guys like them for their sammies. Low and wide. That is the stance (if I were you) I'd be looking for. Fire away with more questions. By the way. What gears are in the Yota axles?

Todd
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj
They are sometimes called a jake brake because of a popular brand of exhaust brake "Jacobs". They work by changing when the exhaust valve closes. Instead of the exhaust valve being open during the exhaust stroke it is closed causing compression and slowing the rotating mass inside the engine down inturn slowing the vehicle down. At the end of the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve is opened and the smashed air in the cylinder is released out the exhaust making the loud sound you are hearing. No fuel is injected during this process so...No you are not using more fuel you are actually not using any.

Call me crazy but I would LOVE to have a 5.9L with exhaust brakes in my YJ. It will be real tight and some frame and suspension work is a must but if I got my hands on one I'd be all over it. Don't know much about the size of your 6.7L but that would be insane. Probably not gonna fit.

My

Chris
Thanks a lot Chris!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.