chevy small block and tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chevy small block and tranny?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
krausec
1992 YJ Wrangler 

chevy small block and tranny?

I'm currently putting in a small block and 350 tranny? The T-case is on the wrong side to that of the diff. I know other people have done it, but dont know how they made it work? Any suggestions?

krausec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
snb73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm

http://www.advanceadapters.com/
snb73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put on a t-case with the output on the proper side.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Ohenry13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

or swap your from axle out ? wha taxles did you plan on running anyways??
Ohenry13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is why it is so important to RESEARCH.

Did you already put it all in?

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

amazes me that a guy can swap a motor, assuming have it running, and not know about swapping a t case?????

kinda scary!

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
krausec
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the obvious. i knew that was an issue when i started. i had plans to swap out axles and put in some from a toyota. Just a little hesitant cause of the steering linkage. But, was more or less seeing which was the best idea. T-case or axles. No need to be a bunch of haters, was only askin. guess i should have been abit more clear.

Last edited by krausec; 10-19-2007 at 12:07 PM..
krausec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What trans. are you going to run. Th350 or a 700R4. If you haven't bought it yet I suggest the 700R4 as it is a 4 speed over the TH350 being a 3 speed. There is a lot to look at here. This is not an easy deal if you don't know what you are up against. Here is what I would do if in your situation. First of all do you have the axles you plan on running? If so what are they out of? Personaly I'd keep it all chevy. Look for a donor truck and pull the entire running gear out of it. Engine, trans, axles, drive shaft, t case etc. As you can see they will all match if they come from the same truck. If it were me I'd look for an early 80's 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Look for something you can run highsteer with so I believe 80 or newer in teh chevy's. Chevy dana 60 fronts have bigger knuckes and are stronger than the fords as far as the knuckles go and a lot of guys that buy the ford axles put the chevy knuckes on there........anyhow. This is not a cheap deal unless you can find a good donor with a (I suggest) 205 Tcase. Or......Try and run your jeep t case that you have now or if you have a pass side drop front axles look for a dana 300 t case out of an 81 or newer CJ. If you go using the jeep t case plan on droping around 450 on an addapter. Please feel free to post up more questions. But I suggest the chevy front and rear axles as you can pick them up a little cheaper. The jeep guys have put a huge dent in the junk yards as far as ford front axles they are geting very hard to find and when you do they want a lot for them. Let us know what axles you have what t case you plan on running your trans etc and we will do our best to help you out.
Just a simple mans thinking
Todd

PS
Steering linkage is the least of your worries. It's noting to have a drag link made

Last edited by TrailWorthyFab; 10-19-2007 at 12:37 PM..
TrailWorthyFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the hijack

Martin.

I just bought a new dodge 1 ton 4wd. Killer ride. Anyhow. It came with a factory "engine brake" I've always called them a jake brake. I don't know anything about them. I do know when I hit the button when stoping it is one rumbleing dude. How do they work? Will it make me use more fuel? I hear the turbo rev when I hit it. Is it hard on the turbo? I understand the basics that they save your brakes by using the engine I just don't understand how it works?????? Thanks for your thought!!

Todd
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Considering a decent set of rotors and brake shoes now will last longer than most vehicles...I'd rather have the stress on the brakes rather than the transmission.
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRhino
Considering a decent set of rotors and brake shoes now will last longer than most vehicles...I'd rather have the stress on the brakes rather than the transmission.

This may be true on most reg. vehicles but If you are like me I have a trailer straped to the back of my truck 90% of the time. I pull a horse trailer to rodeos that weighs over 16000#'s. So needless to say I go thru front brakes much quicker than a jeep or something to the effect would. I hear Semi's jake brakeing all the time. And it is nothing for a semi to have over a million miles on it. So I'm guessing it can't be that hard on them. I just don't know exactly how they work so I thought I would ask Martin who ownes an 18 wheeler and would know.

Todd
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its a engine brake, not a tranny brake.

Doug

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_1994
Its a engine brake, not a tranny brake.

Doug
How else is the engine going to slow down the vehicle unless it's pulling through the tranny?

I see what you mean about towing though, Toxic.
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The exhaust.

Doug

PS Sorry for the offtopic OP.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krausec
I'm currently putting in a small block and 350 tranny? The T-case is on the wrong side to that of the diff. I know other people have done it, but dont know how they made it work? Any suggestions?
"Currently putting in" meaning you've already started...

Quote:
Thanks for the obvious.
You gave us NO information than the above... You need to go to User CP and fill in some stats too...

Quote:
No need to be a bunch of haters, was only askin. guess i should have been abit more clear.
I don't think anyone's "hatin'", you wouldn't be the first to ask silly questions around here. You're right, you should have been more clear.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.