Chevy 350 TPIi code 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 350 TPIi code 43

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Chevy 350 TPIi code 43

So I have had this FI set up for 7 or so years. It is a TPI set up out of a 92 camaro. My jeep barely ever gets driven due to the normal one thing after another problems. Anyways I have I've been putting a lot of time in it lately to get everything running the way it should. It was a gas hog (6-7mpg). In September I found major vacuum leaks and mis routed vacuum lines. I fixed all of that and I noticed it was not running nearly as rich as it was before- good thing. Then the tranny died 2 days later-bad thing.
I have always thrown an engine code since the swap (24-VSS and 43-knock sensor). I have replaced the sensor twice. It doesn't clear The code. I just finished a trans swap that I now have an electric VSS. I noticed that when it was cold it would run real crappy for a couple of minutes. So I decided to pull codes tonight and got 24 and 43. So I decided to wire up the VSS to the computer to at least get rid of one code. Now it runs super rich and when the tires move the engine basically dies. I can sit there and rev it all I want not moving, but the minute I move the engine dies. I am now assuming my computer allowed me to drive before without because it never knew the wheels were turning. I have read it could, be bad knock, bad wire to knock, or the ESM. I also gather that because of this my computer could be taking out as much as 20 degrees of timing. Hence it dying. I have a feeling it's my computer that is bad. Before I write my life story, I'm just wondering if anyone else with TPI swaps has had similar problems. Thanks

Unread 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I put my theory to test this morning. I unplugged the Harness from the VSS and I can drive it around. I pretty sure the underlying problem is a bad ESM.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got code 43 cleared ended up when i got the old sensors I some how recieved the wrong one and it was reading 100k ohms. Got a new one that is 3.9K ohms and code 43 is gone. VSS still an issue, but thats for a new thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.