Chevy 10 bolt questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 10 bolt questions

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Chevy 10 bolt questions

A buddy has some ten bolt front and rears out of a '73 C10 that he is willing to give me. I can't use the front because it's a passenger drop, but the rear sounds perfect. From what I can find out, it's almost exactly the same thing as a Jeep D44 axle, it's even the right width. The issue here is that it's a six lug axle and I don't want to run two different sets of wheels. I'd rather keep my Jeep wheels on both axles.

What are my options for keeping my stock wheels? Is it worth it to do a ten bolt swap? What kind of locker options do I have with a ten bolt? Same as a D44?

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

not worth it.
do an 8.8 if you want to swap axles. it'll hve same bolt pattern as your front
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If that's the 8", 10 bolt - I believe you would have to change the axles to get the right bolt pattern to match your front axle. They are strong - I've seen them do 500Hp launches at the strip. Lord only knows if they have been upgraded.

BUT, it's a bit wider than your front D30 by a number of inches.
Keep that in mind before you jump into it.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ah yes, I wanted to ask that too... how do I measure the axle? What part of it is 8"? I assume it's called a ten bolt because the diff cover has ten bolts? I have no idea why an 8.8 is called that.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Ah yes, I wanted to ask that too... how do I measure the axle? .
wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

Quote:
I assume it's called a ten bolt because the diff cover has ten bolts? I have no idea why an 8.8 is called that
It has an 8.8 inch ring gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks for the info.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.