Cherokee Roof Rack Install Guide - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 60 Old 01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That looks great, I chose to go with an exoskeleton but I did consider this as well.

I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing forever.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpbs View Post
That looks great, I chose to go with an exoskeleton but I did consider this as well.
I really liked those and looked for a used one for a long time. You can fit a lot of luggage up there! I didn't like the looks of the cheaper ones: the barricade and quadratec specials, etc. I really liked the Gobi and wilderness safari rack but didn't want to spend that kind of money.

I don't like that this rack is useless most of the year since I usually run a soft top and bikini top as weather allows. In the summer, my bike rack attaches to the tire carrier, the canoe tends to go on the light bar and homemade tire carrier Tee bar (galvanized pipe).

The important thing is that it gets my skis to the ski "mountain". I'm still sporting the old style long straight wood downhill skis and long xc skis, so they don't really fit inside if there is a passenger.

I think the only thing left that I need is a fly rod attachment. I wonder if the ski carrier will hold my fly rod
Kuntryboy816 likes this.
post #18 of 60 Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is how it looks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5171.jpg   IMG_5167.jpg  
Kuntryboy816 likes this.

I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing forever.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA

post #19 of 60 Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I bit the bullet and tried to get this done before the snow started accumulating. Set it, marked it, drilled it, dropped in the bolts, found out the shank on the bolts are too long, test fit the slotted L-channel, called it a night! Tomorrow, I'm going to round off the corners of the L- channel, add rubber edging to the drop side of the channel and install. The channel will get painted in the Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
20170105_205020.jpg  
calpbs likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #20 of 60 Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
I bit the bullet and tried to get this done before the snow started accumulating. Set it, marked it, drilled it, dropped in the bolts, found out the shank on the bolts are too long, test fit the slotted L-channel, called it a night! Tomorrow, I'm going to round off the corners of the L- channel, add rubber edging to the drop side of the channel and install. The channel will get painted in the Spring.
Looks good, few points I am sure you have considered. If you have the sport bar then the L-Channel is brilliant for a cargo net with all the holes. You could trim it shorter at the door and washer the front section as a cargo net is unlikely to work in the front (Over the driver and passenger front seats). A motorcycle cargo net from ebay is very affordable and would work great on the sides if you were so inclined to store that way. Door edge guard is great for lining thin steel edge and in very low cost especially at trim shops. Love Love Love the mod!!!

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #21 of 60 Old 01-08-2017, 12:15 AM
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up! I'd just like to add a couple things i did differently. First, i didnt realize there was a Cherokee with a short roof rack. I ended up getting the standard length and cutting it down to my desire. I did keep the width, however, because i wanted it to mount as close to the side of the jeep as possible. I wanted it closer to the sides because that is where the top would be stronger. The width of the cherokee top was perfect and the slight curve on the bottom of the rack matched the curve of the hardtop.

forumrunner_20170108_000951.jpg

This is the inside mounting. I tried not to drill my holes inside the channel in case that would sacrifice and structural integrity

forumrunner_20170108_001001.jpg

When i picked up my roof rack from the junkyard, i grabbed the cross bars from a cherokee and a grand cherokee. The grand cherokees cross bars were narrower in width by a couple inches. I dont have the exaxt measurements, but when i test fitted the rack with the grand cherokee bars it looked about the same width you have yours. So for anyone that doesnt want to cut down the width of the bars, the grand cherokee bars might be perfect. They also might be a little narrower than yours, but i would have to remember where i put them and measure them
post #22 of 60 Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Great

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #23 of 60 Old 01-09-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpbs View Post
Here is how it looks
I like how the corners are cut and welded on yours. It looks way better on a YJ than the bent bar. The bent bars look better on a newer vehicle.
calpbs likes this.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I like how the corners are cut and welded on yours. It looks way better on a YJ than the bent bar. The bent bars look better on a newer vehicle.
It is exceptionally hard to bend the bars without a quality bender and a Jig and the harder corners go with the square headlights in my opinion. Thanks

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #25 of 60 Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, made a little progress tonight... bolts in and channel installed. I ran the neoprene washers between the fiberglass and the channel. I tightened the nuts from the center out to the edges and the channel conformed to the curvature of the top nicely.

It's too cold out to RTV the holes under the rack so I'll do that in the Spring as well. Now all that needs to be done is cut and sew the material for the back hatch and I can get this top on the Jeep!
Attached Thumbnails
20170110_212938.jpg   20170110_223343.jpg   20170110_223356.jpg   20170110_223327.jpg  

Quote:
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #26 of 60 Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, expecting near 70 degree weather here on thursday

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #27 of 60 Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks! Supposed to be 50ish today, almost 60 tomorrow and then 50ish again on Friday! Definitely going to be putting in some OT work on the Jeep while I can!

Quote:
post #28 of 60 Old 01-11-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
Thanks! Supposed to be 50ish today, almost 60 tomorrow and then 50ish again on Friday! Definitely going to be putting in some OT work on the Jeep while I can!
Definitely won't be needing the hard top to function for at least a few more days!
Kuntryboy816 likes this.
post #29 of 60 Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Going to try and add these to the corners of the roof rack to serve as tie down points. Depending on how they look will determine whether they stay or not. The plan is to replace the bolts on the four corners of the rack with the eye bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
20170125_193330.jpg  

Quote:
post #30 of 60 Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL

1992 YJ Wrangler 

What are you gonna carry up there? Bigfoot?
Kuntryboy816 likes this.

I hate computer updates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.