Cherokee Driveshaft for SYE - will this one work? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cherokee Driveshaft for SYE - will this one work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Moving forward slowly on this project...ordered the Spicer 211355X today, and am going to replace the U-joints too. Looking at Rock Auto, etc, I can't seem to find a matching U-joint for this front driveshaft with the internal retaining rings. My DS definitely has the internal rings, as you can see in my original picture.

Maybe the seller gave me the wrong info (1996 Grand Cherokee). Or maybe some of the U-joint pictures are incorrectly shown with external snap rings.

Can anyone point me to a PN for the correct 1310 U-joint. There are a lot of choices! Thanks!

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 153 is suitable for the axle side of the shaft because the zerk is on the cross and the other 1310 labeled joint has the zerks on the caps and that's for the double cardan portion of the joint of which there are two of these used. Be advised that the 153's are cheaper due to the design but use the right joint for the right job. Sorry it took so long to answer, I had to dig through my spares in the jeep.
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. Just got home and was able to inspect my DS more closely. Mine are external retaining ring U-joints, but the retaining rings are missing. That's a bit of a head scratcher, but okay...

When you buy used stuff, it isn't always perfect. I was replacing the U-joints anyway, so no big deal.
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Thanks for the help. Just got home and was able to inspect my DS more closely. Mine are external retaining ring U-joints, but the retaining rings are missing. That's a bit of a head scratcher, but okay...

When you buy used stuff, it isn't always perfect. I was replacing the U-joints anyway, so no big deal.
It's always best to start over with new joints because you never know when they'll fail. My video shows that.
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a quick followup post...I ordered the U-joints from Northern Drivetrain. They are somewhat difficult to find online - I didn't have any luck with Rock Auto, Amazon, or eBay. The 5-153x was more available. The 5-1310-1x isn't common.

Prices at Northern Drivetrain:
5-153x was about $12
5-1310-1x were about $26 each.
+ $10 shipping
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to order mine at the counter at napa.
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They're everywhere on eBay, just type in Spicer 1310 ujoint. Ur just trying to get all fancy with the greasables and having the fitting in the right place. I use all non greasables, they're the easiest to find.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't confuse the part number with the Spicer size system. 1310 is the size regardless of the P/N (eg, 5-xxx)
I can find Spicer 1310's *anywhere* in the country, in a junkyard, or at all 4 parts stores in walking distance.
They're as common as sand on a beach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.