Check Engine & Maintenance Required Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine & Maintenance Required Light

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-12-2001, 08:39 PM   #1
JeeperJay

Check Engine & Maintenance Required Light

I have a '92 YJ. It has a Check Engine and a Maintenance Required light on the dash. The Maintenance Required light is on all the time . What would cause this? The check engine light is fine and the diagnostic codes show no errors. Any help would be great.

Unread 11-12-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
sturgman

Arent you the dude lookin for the sensor? Mine went also, but before i knew about it my check engine light was on. I tried to find a used one at the local scrap yards with no luck. They run anywhere from $ 90 to $100 (can. funds)Rather than buying one and replacing it, i've taken a piece of the dash apart that holds the light housing for that particular light and am gonna pull the bulb out tomorrow and stick the old sensor back in.I'll let you know how it goes when i'm done..
sturgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2001, 04:32 AM   #3
Ruftags

Some of the early 90's YJ's had a maintenence timer. It goes off when you reach a certain milage. Since it was preset the only way to get it to turn off is to have a dealer with the right tool to reset it.
Unread 11-13-2001, 07:37 AM   #4
JeeperJay

I know about the emissions module that is set to go off at a certain mileage. But I did some research and found that I don't have one of those. Is there any other sort of maitenance timer that would cause the light to come on, or is it signaling a real problem?
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
JeepTodd

Some vehicles have a set time for the light to come for things like an oil change. I had a Chevy that it came on every 4000 miles to tell me to service it. I could reset the light by pumping the gas pedal 3 times after turning on the key but before starting it. The jeep may have a simular way to turn off the light. Maybe call the dealer and if they are nice they will tell you how to do it. I know it sounds funny but it worked and I was told by the dealer that is the way they cleared it also.
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:27 PM   #6
Kev
Master of the Obvious

In high school, I worked in a service station and most owner's manuals explained how to reset the service light; however, I've never heard of or seen one on an older Wrangler, but it would be worth a try to check it out.

Also, some auto makers say after so many miles (150,000 +) that the light should just be pulled or the computer or module or something replaced to reset the light. If you don't have any error codes, I would think that it is an emissions, but like you said your research didn't show to that... Keep us posted, I've got one the same year and may have this same problem down the road

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:45 PM   #7
Cody_91YJ

I had the same problem, it came on one day driving down the road and the diag. showed no errors. I ignored it for a few weeks and either it quit or the bulb burnt out
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:49 PM   #8
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Well, I got curious and pulled out my Chilton's CD-ROM and here's what I found out about the emissions light:

Most Jeep vehicles are equipped with an Emiisions Maintenance Reminder (EMR) light. The EMR light comes on after the vehicle has reached 82,500 miles ... and informs the owner when the oxygen senson and other related emissions service is required...

The oxygen sensor and EMR are interdependent. When the reminder light illuminates, the oxygen sensor and EMR should be replaced simultaneously... Maintenance reminders for 1991 vehicles are reset using a Diagnostic Readout Box (DRB)...

It only mentions 1991 there and then goes on about pre-1991, so maybe there isn't one for 1992+ or maybe a typo?

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2001, 06:21 PM   #9
JeeperJay

As far as I can tell, 1992's don't have EMR module...but just for the heck of it I took a look on mine where they are supposed to be located, and sure enough, there isn't one.

I just picked up the YJ a few months ago and the light has been on since I got it.

Has anyone seen this "Maitenance Required" light on their YJ? Its located in the lower right corner of the light cluster in front of the steering wheel.
Unread 11-13-2001, 07:07 PM   #10
reckless

I had the same thing happen to me, it occured at 120,000 miles on my 92 yj. I pulled my O2 sensor and it was bad. So I fixed it and every thing ran better. Couldn't turn off the light and the dealership charges $65 so I just pulled the bulb.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 10:21 AM   #11
cooksterdog

I hope I am doing the right thing! Yesterday, I removed the bulb on my 92 yj, it has 85000 miles and the light came on at 84000. I could not find any module that was for the timer, but the jeep has been running fine, and now seems to be the same. ( FINE )
Will leaving the bulb out cause the oxy sensor to malfunction? This could screw up my smog, and here in California, YOU MUST pass the smog!! Or no license tags!!!! So my question is, will it mess up the oxy sensor? And will it still pass smog? I will need to pass in January, and can not afford to get marked as a gross polluter!!! That REALLY screws up your registration from then on.( they make you smog every year!!)
Unread 11-14-2001, 02:15 PM   #12
reckless

No, it wont mess up your sensor. And I think the timer is actually in the computer.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 07:02 PM   #13
JeeperJay

Well I plan on changing my o2 sensor anyway. As for the light should I just ignore it until I feel like getting behind the dash to pull it, or do you think it might be a good idea to investigate the problem further?
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:57 PM   #14
YJOHN

REPLACE YOUR O2 AND FORGET YOU EVER SAW THE THING THE SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME I JUST PULLED THE BULB AFTER DOING THE PROPER MAN.NO PROBLEM SINCE THAT .IT WAS 2 YEARS AGO
YJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:22 AM   #15
sturgman

Guys!! stay cool about this pullin the bulb thing, it's not that tough to do!! Theres only 8 screws to unfasten in total.It took me only 20 mins to do mine.And i know "Antropine" is right. It IS better with beer!!!
sturgman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.