check engine light question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > check engine light question

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

check engine light question

I was wondering if the check engine light is supposed to come on when you turn the key on. I have noticed the only light that comes on is the seatbelt light. This is my first jeep so trying to see what the norm should be. I have repaired the ribbon cable for the dash, due to the speedo and dash lights not working. I took my multi meter and tested all the traces and they have continuity.

92renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My '91 CEL light does come on as soon as the key is turned on.

Bulb bad?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

replaced all bulbs before I found the corroded ribbon cable to be the issue
What light do come on when you turn the key on? What ones stay on during crank?
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The display on my '91 is a bit different than your '92 as there were changes made between the years, IIRC.

My CEL is the only one that comes on when the key is turned on (unless the park brake is on) as I have disconnected the seat belt light & the annoying upshift light. I never noticed if it stayed on during cranking or not.

Here is my display held up to the light so all of the indicators are visible.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92renegade View Post
What light do come on when you turn the key on? What ones stay on during crank?
Okay, I went outside & checked with both my '91 YJ & the wife's '93 YJ.

'91 = Only the CEL light comes on with the key turned on. (as I said I removed the upshift light.)
'93 = Upshift indicator & CEL comes on with key turned on.

On both YJ's the CEL light comes on when the key is on & stays on during cranking if the starter is engaged quickly enough.

On both YJ's the CEL light will eventually go out (in about 15 seconds) if the starter isn't engaged but the key is left on.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for your quick responses I will double check for some corrosion on the pins on the dash plug
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
My CEL is the only one that comes on when the key is turned on (unless the park brake is on) as I have disconnected the seat belt light & the annoying upshift light. I never noticed if it stayed on during cranking or not.
Max, how did you disconnect the seat belt light and the shift light?

The R turn, L turn, hi-beam, check engine and p-brake lights are the only ones that work on my indicator light cluster. I would like all of them to function correctly. And being as those are the most necessary lights, I think the PO of my Jeep disconnected the rest of the lights somehow. I've run into some of his old "projects" from time to time, and then I always have to clean up and repair his work...

I just recently replaced all of the small bulbs in the cluster, so I know it's not just the bulbs being burnt out or the PO removing them. Did he disconnect a ground somewhere or pull a fuse under the dash? All of the connections are clean and free of corrosion (I cleaned them all with a pencil eraser when I removed the cluster). All the ribbons on the circuit board looked great and in pretty good shape, so I'm a little unsure why the lights are not working properly.

Thanks ,
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Max, how did you disconnect the seat belt light and the shift light?

The R turn, L turn, hi-beam, check engine and p-brake lights are the only ones that work on my indicator light cluster. I would like all of them to function correctly. And being as those are the most necessary lights, I think the PO of my Jeep disconnected the rest of the lights somehow. I've run into some of his old "projects" from time to time, and then I always have to clean up and repair his work...

I just recently replaced all of the small bulbs in the cluster, so I know it's not just the bulbs being burnt out or the PO removing them. Did he disconnect a ground somewhere or pull a fuse under the dash? All of the connections are clean and free of corrosion (I cleaned them all with a pencil eraser when I removed the cluster). All the ribbons on the circuit board looked great and in pretty good shape, so I'm a little unsure why the lights are not working properly.

Thanks ,
The seat belt has a plug right behind to the right of the driver seat and goes up into the buckle assembly.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
The seat belt has a plug right behind to the right of the driver seat and goes up into the buckle assembly.
Ditto on the seat belt light/buzzer, and PM sent on the upshift indicator light.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Up shift light can be just taken out. no llght bulb= no light coming out. LOL
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Up shift light can be just taken out. no llght bulb= no light coming out. LOL
southbound is looking to get his working again. Apparently, the PO disabled it via the wiring because the bulb is good.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Opps then pin 54 (orange / black that changes to light green/white) off the ECM should be the one to work with .
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Opps then pin 54 (orange / black that changes to light green/white) off the ECM should be the one to work with .
Yeah I sent him some info on that, I wasn't aware that it changed from orange/black to light green/white. Where does that happen at?

Thanks!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think at the connector at the firewall or at least on a xj wiring diagram does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.