JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Check Engine Light Question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/check-engine-light-question-1249588/)

95YJ_Erwin 08-06-2011 10:31 PM

Check Engine Light Question

New to forum so take it easy on me ;)

Drove home my recently purchased 95 YJ 2.5L tonight and check engine light came on and stayed on. I was only a mile from house so drove it rest of way. Gauges were all in good range. Got on forum and found how to check PCM codes. Only got 12 (Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles) and then 55 (end of codes). Did not think a 12 would cause check engine light to stay on. I checked fluid levels and they were fine. Started Jeep back up after about 30 minutes and check engine light did not stay on.

Anyone know if the 12 code can make light stay on or maybe I am missing something? Don't want to to do something stupid everyone else knows about.

Thanks in advance

phil1330 08-06-2011 11:11 PM

Sorry I can't help... from another sc jeeper welcome to Jeep Forum.

95YJ_Erwin 08-08-2011 02:56 PM

No one seen this?

I take it that no one has seen this before? If ever I figure it out, will post

Buddha 08-08-2011 03:26 PM

If I remember correctly I get the 12 and 55 codes every time. If you don't get anything in between then there are no codes.

95YJ_Erwin 08-09-2011 02:21 PM

Fluke?

So you think it was a fluke that the Check Engine light stayed on this time? Has not come on since then and have put about 70 miles on since then.

Buddha 08-09-2011 02:32 PM

Hard to say - but if there's anything I've learned in my six months as the owner of a 93 model Jeep it's to enjoy the time when it appears as though everything is running well. I guess the bottom line is that if there are no codes then the Jeep at least thinks it's okay.

I've heard of the CEL coming on from something as simple as the gas cap not being on tight so there's no telling what it is unless it throws another code. My advice would be to stop worrying about it until it happens again. Sorry I can't be more help.

95YJ_Erwin 08-10-2011 07:54 AM

Good Advice

Agreed - Life too short :2thumbsup:

Que89YJ 08-10-2011 10:39 AM

If it came on and it was a real issue the code would have stored and you would have been able to retreive it when you check. There are too many potential things that could light the light, but if it was serious it would store the code. You should be fine. If it ever lights again check it when it happens.
Welcome to the forum!

95YJ_Erwin 08-12-2011 10:27 AM

So, it finally did it again and I pulled over and went through the codes. This time I also got a 54 - "Distributor sync pickup" code. After sitting there for about 10 minutes (made a call to get directions), started it up and no check engine light anymore. I have checked the plug wires and everything feels tight. Should I replace cap/rotor or does this indicate something else?

oldtime_ironman 08-12-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YJ_Erwin (Post 12010174)
So, it finally did it again and I pulled over and went through the codes. This time I also got a 54 - "Distributor sync pickup" code. After sitting there for about 10 minutes (made a call to get directions), started it up and no check engine light anymore. I have checked the plug wires and everything feels tight. Should I replace cap/rotor or does this indicate something else?

"Distributor sync pickup" would be the cam position sensor. It's located inside the distributor body under the rotor, held in with a spring pin. Far as I know anyway.

jbolty 08-12-2011 10:49 AM

Chances are the seller cleared the codes. As mentioned, it will come back if there is an issue.

Que89YJ 08-12-2011 11:24 AM

Remove the distibutor cap and rotor. Using electrical cleaner spray the sensor in the distributor. If it still keeps showing up then you can get a new sensor for $50 and replace it or get a whole new distributor with the sensor in it for $30 or so dollars more which is what I recommend.

95YJ_Erwin 08-13-2011 12:55 PM

Always Something :-)

Thanks all - will try the spray and then replace if still keeps showing up.

The time now is 06:39 AM.