Check Engine Light and cold weather?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine Light and cold weather??

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check Engine Light and cold weather??

Hey guys,

Hoping you might be able to help out. The weathers been pretty cold here lately and my Jeep started to act up. I've kept it garaged for the past 2 months, probably driving it less than 50 miles that entire time. Once a week I fure her up just to get the engine moving a little.

Recently I took the Jeep to my local mechanic to weld the exhaust as it was slightly banging up against my gas tank. It was a cold day that day and when I fired her up, the check engine lght came on. Had the Jeep almost 2 years and never came on. I tested the engine codes and got..

12- Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)
33- Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)
24- Throttle position circuit out of range

I understand 12 as the mechanic probably unhooked tthe battery to work on the Jeep. Number 33 is strange as I do not have AC. What does 24 mean. Should I be worried with what I am getting? Also I noticed when i begin to push on the gas, the RPM's go down to the point the engine almost stalls. Could this be due to the cold weather? It seems to run a little smoother when I get it moving, but thought i would run this by you guys.

Can you help?

Mickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a bad TPS.
Could also be a bad connection at the tps or a corroded connection elsewhere.
Unread 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks North Jeep. Sorry to ask, but what is a TPS? I was going to read more about it in my Haynes Manual. Thx!
Unread 01-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It could be all sorts of things but TPS stands for Throttle position sensor. It's on the throttle body, basically it converts the position of the butterfly on the throttle body into an electrical signal for the computer. Believe it or not my Jeep is probably carrying at least 10 check engine light codes and it runs absolutely perfect. Out with the bulb for the check engine light and all is well!
Unread 01-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is a fairly cheap, easy, and quick problem as long as you get one from a salvage yard or partout. From the dealership or parts store will be more expensive.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'll look into it a little more. Overall, the Jeep is running fine. I might just end up taking the bulb out as well. I'll do more research and see what I can find out. Thanks guys.
Unread 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymouse View Post
Also I noticed when i begin to push on the gas, the RPM's go down to the point the engine almost stalls. Could this be due to the cold weather? It seems to run a little smoother when I get it moving, but thought i would run this by you guys.

Can you help?
this to me doesn't sound like it's "running fine". sounds like the TPS is going bad since that's what the computer is telling you, and it could leave you stranded if it fails completely. it's easy enough to change out.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

You are right, I will change the TPS or have it checked to make sure this is the problem. Based upon my engine codes, this is probably it. I found in the Haynes manual how to change the TPS. For the life of me, I cannot tell by the pictures where it is at. Can someone take a picture and show me generally wher eI should be looking at? Sorry, I am not mechanically inclined so its taking me a while to learn these things. I am learning a ton though. Just give me an idea where to look at and where it is located. Thx!
Unread 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Leaving a malfunctioning TPS installed will at some point soon leave you stranded when the thing finally fails completely. I would change it as soon as possible & you might also invest in a manual of some sort so that you can familiarize yourself with your jeep and feel more confident in performing repairs and develope experience in diagnosing problems - even a cheap Haynes manual will be very helpful.

The TPS is a 2 screw job, but you'll need some Torx drivers (screw drivers or socket bits with a torx head) to remove & install it.

The air conditioning fault code that you have on your computer, you'll just have to live with, it's not something that will cause you any difficulties or illuminate the Check Engine Light. The ECU (computer) came from a jeep that was configured with a/c and as such has the configuration data that includes the a/c & it's checking the a/c allocated pinouts for it's presence & condition.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thx Alfons. I do have a Haynes manual. It has come in very handy in replacing my radiator and a few other minor fixes. My only probalem is I cannot tell where the TPS is. I see pictures of it in my Haynes manual but cannot tell where it is at. Just looking for a pic of roughly where to begin looking. Thx!
Unread 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is this the right general area or am I way off?

Unread 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that is the right general area. If you take the tube that goes to your airfilter off you'll find the throttle body right in the area that you circled. It is more or less just a square piece of metal with a round plate in it that controls how much air moves through it (its a bit more complicated than that but thats okay). The TPS should be right on the side of the throttle body.

On second though the throttle body might not actually be square on the outside...but the rest of the description should hold true.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check this out.

Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Mickeymouse
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thx. I'm headed to autozone now. thx again!
Unread 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
dmock
1984 CJ8 

Once TPS is installed you will need to reset the computer to clear the code(s). Your manual should detail how to do it. Good luck!
dmock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.