Cheapest/Easiest Lift for 33s & 35s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheapest/Easiest Lift for 33s & 35s

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Platinum_Jeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Cheapest/Easiest Lift for 33s & 35s

There is so much stuff on here about lifts and tire sizes.

Is there a simple and direct answer for these questions?

What is the largest tire I can fit on a factory height YJ ?

What is the easiest and cheapest lift to fit 33s?

What is the easiest and cheapest lift to fit 35s?

Platinum_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1. Yes
2. 30's
3. tall shackles & body lift could do it (not that this is what I recommend & IMO would be foolish)
4. see #3
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cheap and easy should never be used to describe a lift. There are so many ways to lift a YJ its not funny and everyone has their own opinion on which is best and We all know what opinions are like. Easiest and cheapest would be to start hacking fenders till the tires you want fit. My father ran a stock yj with 33's and fenders trimmed to fit.
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
Platinum_Jeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok... so maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I was simply trying to keep it simple. A "reliable" and "quality" way to fit 33's and 35's on a budget.

The least expensive way to fit 33s that I have found is the Rough Country 4.5" lift kit which bolts on and is runs about $550.00

And not sure about 35s...
Platinum_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look at ome, bds , zone Rubicon express. Pics lifts together. Like grocery shopping. Done.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Putting larger tires on the Jeep requires more than just a lift:

Will your axles handle the larger tires?
Axle gearing may need to be changed.
You will need a rear bumper tire carrier - a 33 or 35 spare will destroy the stock tailgate in no time.
You might need an SYE and new rear driveshaft.
You'll need wheels with the proper backspacing or your tires will be rubbing.
Depending on your location, you may need new flares to cover the wider tires.

None of this is cheap or easy.

With 35s, you need to be worried about brakes and steering too.

As mentioned above, there are lots of ways to fit larger tires - even with no lift (with lots of cutting).

It might help if you tell us your goal for the Jeep, and how you will be using it.
Unread 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

You will need a rear bumper tire carrier - a 33 or 35 spare will destroy the stock tailgate in no time.

As mentioned above, there are lots of ways to fit larger tires - even with no lift (with lots of cutting).

It might help if you tell us your goal for the Jeep, and how you will be using it.
^^^^ Heed this.

From what I read on the forums, rough country is not highly thought of.

Untold numbers of jeeps have been destroyed by inexpensive lifts done by owners who didn't know what they were doing or how to do it.
Unread 01-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_Jeep
Ok... so maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I was simply trying to keep it simple. A "reliable" and "quality" way to fit 33's and 35's on a budget. The least expensive way to fit 33s that I have found is the Rough Country 4.5" lift kit which bolts on and is runs about $550.00 And not sure about 35s...
I'm Running the rc 4.5" on 35's with TJ flares. But for 33's and larger your gonna want to regear and do an axle swap for the rear which adds up
Unread 01-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_Jeep View Post
There is so much stuff on here about lifts and tire sizes.
... and that is because the truck is a system, as Stan said, not unrelated bolt on parts you can mix and match. All the stock components were designed to work with the other stock components. You change one part (especially to that size tire), and you need to change more to keep the system reliable. Doing a lift right is never cheap or easy.
Unread 01-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
Platinum_Jeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I understand that.... I'm a gear head at heart. Ive turned wrenches since I was old enough to drive and welded and modified custom vehicles more than most would understand. However.... the Marine Corps has moved me around so much that I no longer have my equipment to weld and do the work needed. All of my machines, lifts, and fabrication equipment is in storage back in Louisiana.

I understand that the lift may not suffice for the tires.....for off-roading. What I can tell you is......the way I'm driving the Jeep right now, I could put 40" tires on here and it would suffice...because it mainly sits in the garage and gets driven 2 blocks to take my little girl to school and back. Right now I'm simply building it, not "using" it. I figure I could get my lift, get my wheels/tires, put it together, paint job, re-wire dash, change out gauges, install sound system, change out seats, change interior color, make this thing look reasonable and operate functional and then in a couple years when all that was done, completely destroy everything I built and REALLY build this thing into a full blown hot rod rock crawling psycho machine. That's kinda the plans. Right now I'm simply trying to make it look good, run perfect, sound good, and a garage toy for my daughter. (she gives me a reason to sink money into it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Unread 01-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
Platinum_Jeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Let me rephrase..... "COST EFFECTIVE & BUDGET FRIENDLY"...... not cheap
Unread 01-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you CAN fit 33's on stock suspension if you're willing to do a lot of cutting. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #13
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If your fabrication tools are in LA, forget the SOA.

You can start with 4 OME 36R springs as the foundation. They are for the rear, but the springs are the same length and running 4 will give 2.5" to 3" of lift over stock non-sagging springs.
They are soft flexy springs that work well on and off road. I don't even feel washboards, the springs and shocks eat them up.
about $105 bucks each.
A set of OME bushings. About 100 bucks, I think.
A 1" body lift. 1" really doesn't have any negative effects and gives you another inch for relatively cheap. I paid around 100 bucks, but my body mounts were still like new.
Lift shackles. I have 5/8ths inch lift. It didn't changer castor enough to have a negative steering effect. Too much shackle lift can cause bump steer.
Add a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks (or skyjacker hydro shocks if you can't afford Bilstein)
So far, that's 4" to 4.5" of lift. Plenty to 33" tires. drives and rides great and is safe and ready to wheel moderate trails.
You will still have open diffs and the underwhelming Dana 35 axle, but it will do quite well.

I had to add a transfer case 1" drop to eliminate driveline vibration. I hate it, and will change it asap, but it works for now.

Be careful in Yuma.
I call it the rattlesnake capitol. Last time I was there at an RV park, there were hundreds slithering around just after dark. Hundreds.
The manager was driving around in a golf cart with a 33 gal trash can and a stick thing picking them up
He said "the snakes are really heavy this year"
I left the next morning.
Unread 01-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
Platinum_Jeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you. I think you understand what it is I'm looking for at this particular time. That nailed my question.

And yes, Yuma has Rattlers........ My first encounter was 3 weeks after arriving here, Wellton Coyote Wash golf course, hole number 4, teeing off, I saw a ground squirrel and thought, "Hey, he's cool looking, let me sneak up on him". Well he kept poking his head around some rocks trying to watch me. As I snuck up on him I was able to get about 16-20 inches away with my camera and after snapping the shot I moved and he ran along the rock wall. Well......I ran after him....LOL.... he ran right over the top of a rattler coiled up and ready and well when I saw him i was in the middle of running toward the squirrel and just naturally jumped as high as I could right as the rattler was lunging for me.....

Needless to say...my golf round ended right there. I packed up my clubs and went home.

Randy's Tombstone: "Died by snake bite chasing a ground squirrel on hole 4, Coyote Wash, Weldon, AZ" <- Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
If your fabrication tools are in LA, forget the SOA.

You can start with 4 OME 36R springs as the foundation. They are for the rear, but the springs are the same length and running 4 will give 2.5" to 3" of lift over stock non-sagging springs.
They are soft flexy springs that work well on and off road. I don't even feel washboards, the springs and shocks eat them up.
about $105 bucks each.
A set of OME bushings. About 100 bucks, I think.
A 1" body lift. 1" really doesn't have any negative effects and gives you another inch for relatively cheap. I paid around 100 bucks, but my body mounts were still like new.
Lift shackles. I have 5/8ths inch lift. It didn't changer castor enough to have a negative steering effect. Too much shackle lift can cause bump steer.
Add a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks (or skyjacker hydro shocks if you can't afford Bilstein)
So far, that's 4" to 4.5" of lift. Plenty to 33" tires. drives and rides great and is safe and ready to wheel moderate trails.
You will still have open diffs and the underwhelming Dana 35 axle, but it will do quite well.

I had to add a transfer case 1" drop to eliminate driveline vibration. I hate it, and will change it asap, but it works for now.

Be careful in Yuma.
I call it the rattlesnake capitol. Last time I was there at an RV park, there were hundreds slithering around just after dark. Hundreds.
The manager was driving around in a golf cart with a 33 gal trash can and a stick thing picking them up
He said "the snakes are really heavy this year"
I left the next morning.
Unread 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

No problem. It kind of gives you a starting point. Those springs work well here because they are on the soft side. Springs with more arch generally have a stiffer ride. Off road you will be on washboarded roads. The softer springs absorb the bumps keeping the ride more comfortable and safer for you and your daughter.
Stiff springs over washboards can make the jeep skip around and even lose control.

I also like Mickey Thompson tires. Good sidewalls and they are know for being (don't laugh) rounder and easier to balance than many competing tires.

When you are ready, we'll discuss off road lights!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.