Cheap And Easy Intake Mod(Write up+Pictures) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheap And Easy Intake Mod(Write up+Pictures)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cheap And Easy Intake Mod(Write up+Pictures)

Hey everybody Tj here from nisky. So as you might know the weather is pretty rough outside. I figured I keep myself occupied and help the cause by doing a write up.
I have seen a lot of good write ups to help other people and I figured I might as well do one. As easy as it may be. But here it goes anyway.

Things you will need:
Stock Yj’s (or any jeep for the matter) air box
Mesh (optional)
Regular head screw driver
Screws (small)
Wire cutters
Pliers (needle nose)
And about 20mins of your time.

What we will end up doing in this mod will be removing the air condenser and a plate that restricts the amount of air coming into the engine.
DISCLAIMER:yes this can be harmful if you decide to cross a river it can suck water into your intake, but other wise you should be ok.

First you will need to locate and remove your stock air box. It’s a lot easier to do the work inside.

Once you have removed it bring it inside and basically pull it apart with the tabs (as if you were changing the air filter).

Then you need to locate the condenser, it is the hourglass shaped hole in the front of the air box.

The easiest way to remove it is to push in the tabs with a screwdriver and pull it out.

Once removed this is what the condenser should look like. If what you pulled out if something different…you might want to put it back…

The next part is removing the plate that is on the side of the Stock Yj’s air box. Use the screw driver to pry the plate off. Try to keep it in one piece.

Then you want to cut out a piece of mesh that is the same size as the plate. The reason for this is to just keep any LARGE debris from getting into your air box.

Then just screw the mesh into the existing holes and you are all done with the mod. Just install it and listen to your engine purr because you just gave it new barks that will surly follow its bite.

Enjoy!

tell me what y'all think of my frist write up

My Build Thread

Last edited by thetrashman; 12-23-2009 at 07:24 PM..
thetrashman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The trick has been around awhile, however it makes it easier to suck water into the stock airbox (no more so then an aftermarket intake though). Just a warning to anyone doing this
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
sdelliott31
2001 WJ 

Hi. I am wondering what people think of this as well. I am contemplating trying it. Seems like a great idea and cheap. That with new plugs, and throttle body cleaner, I would think would improve your performance. I have a 1992 YJ 4cyl.
sdelliott31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The trick has been around awhile, however it makes it easier to suck water into the stock airbox (no more so then an aftermarket intake though). Just a warning to anyone doing this
yes that can be a problem so thank you for pointint it out i meant to say that to begin with. but i put in a disclaimer now.
haha

Quote:
Hi. I am wondering what people think of this as well. I am contemplating trying it. Seems like a great idea and cheap. That with new plugs, and throttle body cleaner, I would think would improve your performance. I have a 1992 YJ 4cyl.
and yes it would deffinatly help improve even just a little bit, as soon as i finished it in my 4cyl she sounded much more happy and seemed to run better(or atleast smoother)

My Build Thread
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
sdelliott31
2001 WJ 

Looks like you live in NY, so you have rough winters. I live in Illinois and have rough winters so was wondering about what the other poster was saying about water getting in. Is that a big issue? Its something I'm really looking at doing. Not being a wrencher, but a lover of interesting ideas, and a newbie, this is a project I think I could do and build some confidence, but don't want to hurt the jeep in the long run. Everything is stock on my jeep right now.
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I took out the air condenser you were talking about, as well as another restricter piece in the top of the filter box. I thought about doing the Hummer intake mod. In this, you block the front intake, make a hole in the back of the filter box, run a tube/hose into the firewall and up through the top of the cowling just ahead of the windshield. This way, you get around the water issue, as well as getting a cold air intake out of it. Someone did a writeup on it, just search "Hummer intake mod", and it should come up. Great write up!

Jerry
Unread 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Hummer intake mod"
yeah the hummer mod is pretty nice if i do say so myself. a fair amount of work to do though.

Quote:
don't want to hurt the jeep in the long run
you shouldn't hurt it really at all. even if its raining like POORING you still wont get much water under your hood to begin with let alone up near your air box. what he is talking about is like, you deciding to drive thorugh a 3ft puddle...kinda...haha

My Build Thread
Unread 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
sdelliott31
2001 WJ 

My jeep is a DD, with a little bit of fun in the snow, but nothing crazy. Most of my Jeep is stock, so sounds like this mod would be ok for me. Thanks for the info

Funny reply fratis to the puddle comment.
Unread 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrashman View Post

Looks like nice easy mod even I can do however I am currently running just as the pic here shows, no intake front tube. Wasn't there when I purchased the jeep. So will this mod add any more level of water risk then what I already have? Also will it allow anymore air in then what I am getting without the front tube?

Thanks
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no intake front tube.
what do you mean? but yeah it should be able to help

My Build Thread
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have no tube from the front of the air box to the grill. Just a hole in the front of the air box like the pic I quoted has.. Shoot, maybe they are supposed to be that way, but it looks like something is supposed to be there.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
I thought about doing the Hummer intake mod. In this, you block the front intake, make a hole in the back of the filter box, run a tube/hose into the firewall and up through the top of the cowling just ahead of the windshield. This way, you get around the water issue, as well as getting a cold air intake out of it. Someone did a writeup on it, just search "Hummer intake mod", and it should come up. Great write up!

Jerry
Quote:
yeah the hummer mod is pretty nice if i do say so myself. a fair amount of work to do though.
I'm glad you guys like it. Would you believe nobody has ever asked me about it? I was expecting quite a bit of "what's that thing?" reactions, but no one has said anything at all.
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

no intake front tube.
Quote:
I have a short plastic tube that goes from the airbox to behind the drivers side headlight. Sort of like having a cold air intake. Note I said "sort of like".

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haha yeah I understand I mean doing this mod or anything like it will improve your air flow and will this improve performance

My Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.